Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 949

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm phantasizing myself of converting an 8x10 view camera into a 8x10 enlarger. I was wondering whether one could use the bottom part of an overhead projector as light source. Comes with quite some power (enough??), cooling and a fresnell lens as condensor. Would that work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work properly, especially if you are using graded papers. They throw plenty of light, so it is just a question of setting it up so that the film plane and lens are aligned properly with the paper. Would you be doing this in a horizontal direction, or is it more of a "normal" type with the light above the film and the paper on the bottom? Sounds like a good idea to me. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work properly, especially if you are using graded papers.
    Since I'm only recently back in to analogue photography (my previous experience is from the pre-variable contrast era) forgive my ignorance: why for especially for graded papers? Does the lamp contain insufficient blue or does one need a well calibrated spectrum to use the VC filters properly?

Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Would you be doing this in a horizontal direction, or is it more of a "normal" type with the light above the film and the paper on the bottom?
    Not sure yet. A vertical setup will take less space and will be a more permanent setup, which has its pros (aligning only once, easy use of the camera as repro unit) and its cons (bit more cumbersome to use the camera for other purposes). I envision to suspend the light unit more or less separately on the ceiling with some counterweight attached (that would avoid mechanical stress to the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could go to any neon shop and have them make a light source similar to normal 4x5 cold light heads...in a zig-zag fashion, then build a housing out of aluminum or some other light metal. Paint it white on the inside and it will give you more than enough light output. They can also put in the proper gas to give it a daylight balanced output. As a final aid, installing exhaust fans, with rubber dampers to ease vibration, will help keep it cool.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis Neel
    . . . As a final aid, installing exhaust fans, with rubber dampers to ease vibration, will help keep it cool.
    Perhaps better yet, wall mount the exhaust fan and connect to the enlarger with clothes drier duct.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    Perhaps better yet, wall mount the exhaust fan and connect to the enlarger with clothes drier duct.

I agree...on my lamp conversion I used aluminum flex duct...available at Lowes...or Home Depot...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah that would work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might also get some help/ideas from www.skgrimes.com He does large format machine work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Conctact Kino Flo here in Los Angeles. http://www.kinoflo.com/site_map/onbo...lasts/001.html

The Parabeam or something similar would give you enough output and they don't need much for cooling. They list the photometrics so you can see just how much output they have.

vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    check out the revious thread I'm sure the guy would give you the instructions on how he did it. he used LED lights for his and that seems to be the way everyone is going now. Zone VI has a 4x5 LED head now that is VC.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin