Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,486   Online: 850

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Printing with Unsharp Mask - Worth doing for 35mm?

I just read an article on printing with unsharp mask, find it interesting and would really like to try it. But the question I would like to ask is, as far as I can see, most of what I can find were related with LF printing.

The largest format I can shoot is 6x9, and for experiment, 35mm will be much easier and cheaper. But is it practical taking into consideration issues with accurate registration and grain size on such a small negative?

It is worth doing even for 6x6 or 6x9 even?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi There

using a unsharp mask with 35 mm is totally ok, just be very careful with dust and all the rules apply that would be in effect for larger film.

Donald Miller has a lot of great threads , posts and an article on unsharp masking and I am sure he would be of great help if you run into any snags. I have not done masking for a few years and since I am not actively masking film I think my advice would be from memory, but he is actually presently doing this.
    have fun

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Contrast masking for Ilfochromes from 35mm slides is a fairly standard technique, so why not other kinds of masks?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am sure that doing registration will be much more difficult with 35 then LF.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    I am sure that doing registration will be much more difficult with 35 then LF.
    Registering 35mm unsharp masks are no harder or easier than large format from my recollection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Hamster,

Give it a try. I think you'll love it. "Post Exposure" has a nice description for creating them.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Hamster!
    Give it a go. I've tried it and it's not too difficult. The previous advice about dust on the neg is entirely appropriate; the unsharp mask will accentuate these somewhat. If you've got a lightbox, then the whole registration process is made that much easier. Personally, I used Maco 'genius' sheet film (great name isn't it!) and devved it in dilute exhausted Neutol. I got good results.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin