Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,776   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

AnalyserPro calibration for Forte polygrade V FB

Hi!

Just bought from bhphoto enough supply of Forte paper to last me at least an year. I am using AnalyserPro with Durst enlarger with colour head. My setup is calibrated for Agfa paper. I remember i burnt a lot of paper when i was calibrating my setup for my now defunct favorite paper. Now i am in the process of switching to my second favorite paper "Forte polygrade V FB".

With the cost of paper gone up drastically (I have to buy most of the stuff by post as it is almost impossible to get b&w paper where i stay) i was wondering if someone can share their calibration setting for Forte paper using a setup similar to mine. Which i can use as a starting point to save some paper.

Thanks a million in advance
    gred

Shooter
    35mm
    It is almost 2 weeks since i have posted above query. Lot happened since than.... few nights in darkroom... lots of precious paper burnt for a good cause. The results are quite disappointing. Forte polygrade V paper's contrast range does not go beyond Grade 2 on my Durst M605 enlarger with colour head. This is a real problem as i print most of my negatives in the range of 2.5 to 3. Ilford MG4 FB barely goes up to grade 3. I am not able to figure out what i am doing wrong. Is there a chance that enlarger dichroic filters faded in my 10 years old enlarger? if this is the case can these filters be changed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't help you directly but you could contact Richard at RH Designs, they are one of the sponsors of APUG and can be reached at

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk

When I've had questions about there products ( I don't have any - yet) Richard has always responded with excellent information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gred -

I missed your original posting; I'm afraid we don't have any figures for Forté papers in house. You shouldn't need to use more than a couple of 10x8 sheets for a full calibration. Alternatively we offer a calibration service, or you could try our new calibration kit if you don't already have one.

The main thing to remember is to get the exposure correction right first, based on the highlights, before attempting contrast calibration.

Dichroic filters don't generally fade, but you might find the filter mechanism in your enlarger needs attention. I seem to recall some years ago a friend of mine having a similar problem with a Durst colour head which was traced to the filters not being moved into the light path correctly. You should certainly get up to grade 4.5 with Ilford paper from that head; if you cannot, I suggest you have the head checked before going any further with calibration.

Regards
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot Bruce and Richard!

I am using stouffer step wedge for calibration. I guess i have to get my Durst head checked first. Also, hoping to get my Analyser Pro upgraded soon

Gred

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Durst enlargers have a White Light Lever that moves the filters out of the light-path to give a white light for focusing. It sound like yours may not be working correctly. If you set one of the filters to maximum, then operate the lever you should see the change in light colour. If it doesn't work you will be printing under white light at around grade 2.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should also have said that it is most unlikely that your filters have faded in 10 years, my enlargers are nearer to 25 years old and still give the full grade range.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I should also have said that it is most unlikely that your filters have faded in 10 years, my enlargers are nearer to 25 years old and still give the full grade range.
    Same goes for my LPL7700. I think dichroic filters are like polarisers inasmuch as it's an inherent characteristic of the way they're made rather than the use of a dye or pigment, and therefore they don't "fade" as such. Check for free movement of the filter mechanism - I recently took the oil can to my LPL which made everything work a lot more smoothly. But be very sparing - you don't want oil drips on the diffuser or lens.

Regards
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Dave says sometimes the filters can stick and not return into the light path. I've got two colour heads for the Mod70 and if I wind the filter a bit too much (e.g. just past 170) and switch the lever to "out", which is the white light setting, when I reset the lever to "in" the filter doesn't drop into the light path. It's the same on both heads and by just turning the filter control a touch the filter drops down.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by leeturner
    As Dave says sometimes the filters can stick and not return into the light path. I've got two colour heads for the Mod70 and if I wind the filter a bit too much (e.g. just past 170) and switch the lever to "out", which is the white light setting, when I reset the lever to "in" the filter doesn't drop into the light path. It's the same on both heads and by just turning the filter control a touch the filter drops down.
    I had the same problem with a New Beseler 23CIII W/ a VC Head. and had to redo the calibration for the paper I was using (Kentmere VCRC) since then the Zonemaster II has worked flawlessly and has turned out to be some of the best money I ever spent. I have the corrected Calibration figures if any one wants them. Regards, Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin