Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,525   Online: 1042

Images

Saunders LPL enlarger ?

A friend is looking to sell her Saunders LPL 670 DXL Dichroic enlarger. It's got a Companon S len for 35mm negs. She says she hasn't been pleased with it as it prints "soft" or "mushy". Does anyone have experience with this enlarger. I don't want mushy prints (or at least want the option of not having them mushy when I choose!).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used this type of enlarger and own its big brother the 770 (LPL 7700C). No problems with either.

If there's a problem with "soft" or "mushy" prints then either the enlarger is out of alignment (could just be a matter of adjusting it (search the forums and you'll find plenty of threads telling you how) or it could be bent (in which case walk away)) or the lens is dirty or duff. Either way it'll be a problem with the individual enlarger, not the make/model.

Best of luck,

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've been using the Saunders LPL 670 DXL Dichroic enlarger for over a year with a Schneider Companon-S lens and 35mm film exposed with my Leica lenses and have gotten astounding prints. I previously owned a standard Saunders condensor enlarger but got extremely frustrated with dust spots on all my prints. Since replacing it with the 670 DXL, dust spots are non-existent. Thus, I agree with the post just above mine 100 percent: she is doing something wrong or there is something wrong with her setup.

Terry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sounds like the lens or her focusing technique. Is she using a focusing aid of any sort? how far down is she stopping the lens? Is the enlarger sitting on a vibration free surface?
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin