Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,494   Online: 1020

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

80mm componon or el-nikkor?

I'm buying an enlarging lens on ebay, and from what I've read a 6 element lens is the way to go. However, where can I find the info. on the componon and el-nikkor lenses? Specifically, I've seen componon s, el-nikkor n, and other series listed here and on ebay. Are these lenses all 6 element? Does the N series in Nikon a better lens than just an "el-Nikkor" ?

Thanks for any info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot has been said as to the relative merits of different makes of lenses so I can only tell you that my experience is that they are much the same in quality so long as you stick to five or six element optics. These would be tha el nikkors, componons ( not comparon) or rodagons. I use all three and find no difference of any note. I am not positive but the N on the nikkors probably just means normal focal length as in 80mm for 6x6 cm or 50mm for 35mm. Hope this helps!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

info

El-nikkor is the way to go. I have both the componon and the el-nikkor lenses.
    Here's the bottom line. I think/know that some of the Schneider lenses are crap.
    Not all mind you because I have an 80mm and a 100mm that work just fine. But I had 2 of the 150mm lenses and they both stunk. As in worse and worser. Make sure you can get your money back on the lens. Now I use a Rodenstock Apo150mm lens that is just incredible. It also cost me about $1200 new. With ebay around one doesn't need to spend this kind of money any more. I have only one el-nikkor lens in a 210mm variety and it works extremely well. I'm sure you'll get alot of feedback on this thread....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 80mm Nikon is the 6 element. One reason to consider a newer Componon-S or the Rodenstock version is they're F/4 versus the F/5.6 of the Nikon. Only reason to consider a different make.

Info about the most recent El-Nikkors (recently discontinued) is available at http://www.europe-nikon.com/category...d=22&catId=152. At http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00FZ8J I explain what the "N" and "A" designations mean on El-Nikkors. The German manufacturers use different lens names for different lens designs, Nikon just calls all of their enlarging lenses El-Nikkor -- the 50 mm f4 and 75 mm f4 are the oddballs, consisting of 4 elements in 3 groups. The remainder are 6 elements in 4 groups.

Info about Schneider lenses is available at http://www.schneideroptics.com/photo...oto_enlarging/

Rodenstock info is at http://www.linos.de/en/prod/obj_vergroesserung.html

What format are you buying the lens for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael,
    I'll be buying the lens for 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 format. I've been shopping ebay for enlarger/darkroom packages and have seen several Beseler and Omega enlargers w/ the Componon and Nikon lenses included. I had an Omega B8 several (many!) years ago, but lost interest and sold it when I moved. So now I'm back to square one....
    Thanks, G.P.

Images
    You got a lot of good advice. I use all the big 3 flavors and they are all good, at least the ones I have. Never had to send one back. I would like to comment on something else. I like the Nikkors because they mark the f/stops with big, easy to read numbers. And there are no 1/2 stops which I don't like counting down. One of my lenses has a back light, but with the coldlight I have it doesn't work that well. The numbers are tiny. I even have a light next to the lens so I can read the f/number and they are still small. If your eyes are good, please disregard.

--LG--
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Last summer I saw some of Peter's prints while we were at a workshop. And indeed they are sharp. I wonder if the lenses he had trouble with just had focus shift, or more focus shift than other lenses. I have an old 75mm Wollensak that worked fine at all settings. A high end 80mm Rodenstock had shift that made me nuts. Once I recognized this it worked fine when I re-focused when stopped down.

L.G. makes a valid point. I use a old 135mm Schneider with tiny painted on f'/stops and a dot. I keep a small penlight next to the enlarger when working. What a pain.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin