Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,862   Online: 980

Thread: Print Effect

Shooter
    35mm

Print Effect

Hi I am trying to print a B&W print with a soft grainy look as per a Robert
    Farber picture without much success.
    Could anyone put me in the right direction to achieve this effect please.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    One method is to lay a sheet of paper over your enlarging paper. Kind of like a texture screen. Not familiar with Robert Farber, myself.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    or a bit of stocking.

David.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How about trying to get the grain in the negative?

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with having the grain in the negative and then using light diffusion at the printing stage.

Shooter
    35mm
    Or print large enough to see the grain.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Farber has a technical section in the back of several of his books. He discusses the film used and development. A number of his grainy photographs were taken with 16mm film cameras and enlarged greatly. I also remember that he took a number of his shots on polaroid 35 mm slide film.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Your question got me thinking. I had read Farber's books a few years ago, but didn't remember exactly how he achieved his look. Last night I looked back through "Farber Nudes" and "Natural Beauty." He describes several techniques for acheiveing the soft, grainy look of his photographs.

From "Farber Nudes"--

For grain, he states that he shot Agfa B/W 400 ASA, pushed 3 stops, processed in Rodinol; for golf ball size grain, he used "recording film" @1600, developed in Rodinol 1;25 for 12 minutes. Also, for one shot he used Agfa 100 pushed 3 stops in Rodinol.

From "Natural Beauty"--

A number of his photos were taken with Polopan 125, in 35mm format. Several of his grainy photographs were taken using an 8mm Minox camera. He states, "Using the Minox TLX, I was working with a miniature format that happens to be a fine-precision camera fitted with the best optics." p. 203, plate 72.

He also took several of the shots "with slight diffusion." I assume he used a diffusion filter or some cover over the lens like a stocking.

Hope that helps.

Allen

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin