Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,038   Posts: 1,560,675   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the two part shop I built with a darkroom in mind, part of it is dedicated to the darkroom, part of it is dedicated to glass production, makes for a nice setup, no fumes in the house and when I need to get away, I only have to walk about 20 feet and hit the heators.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    in the basement.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Started as 1/4 of the basement. It is going for 1/2 at this point.

We live in the country. We had mice in the basement this winter and that has brought out at least two small snakes this spring. My guess is that by September my wife will not want to set foot in the basement. Could be 100% darkroom by Christmas.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We have a 3 car garage. Rather, we had a 3 car garage--now its 2 cars and a darkroom. Piped in A/C, water, and electricity from the rooms above. Heaven!!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I built my current home, I had the darkroom specifically designed into the main part of the house behind the laundry room. It is completely dark with no windows and includes a flow ventilation system. In my last home, I had the darkroom built when I finished the basement. And, in the 1980s I worked in the corner of the laundry room. Start anywhere and keep the faith...
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mines in the garage. I have made it as light tight as I can and print at night. Works great, it's not wet but the Kitchen is in the next room.

D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkroom

This is an old shot of the darkroom, poor scan from years ago. It started life as a one car garage, then a work shop, next a small efficiency apartment and finally it's true self came out. I got tired of buying refrigerators, fixing holes, cleaning up after smokers and screening people (one was a convicted felon, fortunately just a burglar). We did meet some wonderful people as well, but the darkroom is the best use for 'most any room or building. It has full plumbing, plenty of storage, a closet, bathroom, desk and the fridge is full of film. Only wish it was a tad bigger. It is free-standing and has a complete security system as well, so I'm happy to spend time there. tim
    Last edited by noseoil; 09-16-2007 at 08:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    This is an old shot of the darkroom, poor scan from years ago. It started life as a one car garage, then a work shop, next a small efficiency apartment and finally it's true self came out.....
    That's a great looking freestanding darkroom. The first one I ever used was in a 2-car garage that used a large area for matting, framing and dry storage. The entire space was light tight and used when processing 30x40 prints.
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When we bought this house (our first) my wife was into breeding cats, so they got the heated and insulated garage and an outdoor run. The laundry room 'wet side' was on the other side of the wall in our bedroom closet, so now the washer and dryer are in what used to be our bedroom closet, and I have the whole laundry room for a darkroom.

I'll have the garage converted into a darkroom within the year

Murray

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday
    In short I would like to use only the bathroom - have everything in the one room, but I'm guessing that the shower and steam will destroy the enlarger.
    Then don't keep it in there.

My darkroom is in the master bathroom (we have two, but my wife doesn't like the smaller one, where the vanity interferes with her knee). Since I can't leave things set up anyway, I "promoted" a kitchen cart for which there isn't room in the kitchen since our last move; my Omega D2 lives on there, and can be semi-easily wheeled into the bathroom for printing sessions, and back to my computer room (spare bedroom) for storage between. In fact, with a slip-in, friction-retained window cover and weatherstripping around the door (and a towel underneath) I can set up for darkness to change film in about five minutes, pull out the rugs and wheel in the enlarger cart in less than ten, and put it all back to "bathroom" in fifteen minutes at the other end (including wiping down the counter and sinks, leaving only a tray under the bathtub faucet with prints still washing). Add time to mix chemicals, and I can still spend four hours actually printing when I have a five hour time slot while she's out of the house...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin