Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,373   Online: 997
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    66
    Mark, what I meant was that, with my limited experience, I manage to get some satisfactory results with the few xp2 super that Iíve tried; not the case with the Kodak film.

    Thanks

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,801
    I used Kodak T400CN C41 b/w film with Iford MG RC IV paper. I don't use it anymore, I swiched completely to "real" b/w films.

    My experience is that T400CN is film for flash light, or daylight under very contrast lighting situations. In "normal" daylight situations or under cloudy days, etc... and under tungsten light that film has not enough contrast. And because of that it is dificult to print on MG RC. I usually had to use 3,5, 4, and sometimes grade 5 was not enough to get "real" blacks from that film/paper combination. So, afer experience with about 50 rolls of that film, indoor and outdoor, I don't want to use it anymore...

    Thera are few good poits of that film: Great film if you don't want grain using 400ISO film. And I tried on one roll to change 250, 400 and 800 ISO, and got photographs which I could print on MG RC paper (with some burning and doging) with all three speeds on one roll of film...

  3. #13
    drpsilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    361
    Images
    3
    05 May 2006

    Mark:

    I believe that Ilford no longer produces XP2, fortunately. XP2 Super is a much better film.

    Regards,
    Darwin

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    135
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by drpsilver
    05 May 2006

    Mark:

    I believe that Ilford no longer produces XP2, fortunately. XP2 Super is a much better film.

    Regards,
    Darwin
    It was some time ago I purchased the xp2; probably after it was discontinued and being sold for a song to suckers (like me) who didn't know the difference.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ont, Canada
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,045
    I am new here but I was reading through the posts of interest and read this thread.
    Oddly I prefer T400CN and I wondered why. Recently I bought a newish (1991) componon enlarging lens and found that it printed one and one half grades softer than the 1961 componar that I had been using. Perhaps the lens an individual uses influences their favoured materials

    Sincerely
    Bill

  6. #16
    Markok765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,270
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    24
    I made a great with this film on the same paper without a filter
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

  7. #17
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,187
    Images
    65
    If any C41 B&W film has a colored base, then it will act as a contrast control filter for a VC paper.

    Generally, an orange colored C41 B&W paper should be printed with a graded paper.

    PE

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ont, Canada
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If any C41 B&W film has a colored base, then it will act as a contrast control filter for a VC paper.

    Generally, an orange colored C41 B&W paper should be printed with a graded paper.

    PE
    Why is it better to print on a grade 4 paper than to dial in a grade 4 adjustment to variable contrast paper?
    thanks
    Bill

  9. #19
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,187
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Why is it better to print on a grade 4 paper than to dial in a grade 4 adjustment to variable contrast paper?
    thanks
    Bill
    I don't quite get the relation of your comment to mine, but basically if the film has a grade 4 filter built in to it, then using a #4 filter in printing is just going to increase printing times and increase contrast to grade 5 or higher.

    I'm not saying that the filter in this film is grade 4 though. It is orange, a combination of yellow and magenta that I have never confirmed as having a specific grade # for VC paper. I do know that it has one though.

    PE

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ont, Canada
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I don't quite get the relation of your comment to mine, but basically if the film has a grade 4 filter built in to it, then using a #4 filter in printing is just going to increase printing times and increase contrast to grade 5 or higher.

    I'm not saying that the filter in this film is grade 4 though. It is orange, a combination of yellow and magenta that I have never confirmed as having a specific grade # for VC paper. I do know that it has one though.

    PE
    thanks for responding. I took your post to mean that one should use a graded paper rather than a variable grade paper when printing a black and white print from Kodak C41 film.
    Presumably the colour mask is tending more to that of a grade one or even less, forcing the use of a very hard filter when enlarging to reverse that effect and bring the print to a mid point.Naturally this will lead to long exposures. and may restrict the ability to get to a true grade 4 or 5.
    But I was wondering if there was a difference with a grade 4 paper versus a variable grade paper at grade 4 with regard to the paper's response to the film
    Bill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin