Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,860   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't see anything on paper looking like a polished silver plate.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meltronic
    After viewing Sandy King's utterly amazing new daguerrotype in the technical gallery, I have to ask: Is there any way to get anywhere near this look in a regular silver print? I don't own any mercury vapors. Matt
    There is really nothing I have ever seen like the daguerreotype. Ambrotypes can look something like daguerreotypes and are often confused with them, though not by people who really know the real thing. The confusion is complicated a bit by the fact that for maximum protection from the elements daguerreotypes are covered with glass and sealed in a frame. Otherwise they would tarnish just like our silver spoons, and of course polishing would remove some of the image.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    The smoke is mercury vapor and the mirrors are the mirrored surfaces of the prints.

PE
    I was wondering if anyone would get it or if it was so bad as to not warrent comment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    I was wondering if anyone would get it or if it was so bad as to not warrent comment.
    Fear not: 'twas appreciated most merrily...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    There is really nothing I have ever seen like the daguerreotype...Sandy
    Okay. My hopes are dashed. Congratulations on that treasure, Sandy. I need to hone my silver printing skills before distracting myself with anything so elaborate. I WOULD like to watch the master at his work however.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't seen a daguerreotype in a long long time, but the other day I etched a photo onto copper, and the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it was "Hm. Kinda reminds me of a daguerreotype." It's copper-on-copper, and negative or positive depending on the light.

Or maybe it doesn't look like one at all and I need to go to the museum more often.

Maybe I'll try to take some pictures and put them somewhere. The process wasn't entirely analog, so this prolly isn't the most appropriate place. I guess it could be analog, though. Do Xerox machines count?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I don't see anything on paper looking like a polished silver plate.
    This is very true.

I went through my files last night and can't find the old Polaroid material on fake Dags. Perhaps I threw it away... possible, but unlikely since I tend to keep all sorts of odd stuff.

But I did resurrect a few memories. I seem to remember that this method involved Polaroid roll film... and transparency is coming to mind. Did they make a (non-35mm) instant transparency? I seem to remember that the Polaroid was then mounted against some sort of backing to give the "illusion" of a dagerreotype.

I recall never seriously considering this because I didn't have a roll film holder, roll film was already obselete when I learned of ths technique, and I knew it wouldn't look much like the real thing anyway.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

"I don't see anything on paper looking like a polished silver plate."

It could be done fairly easily, of coarse the devil is in the details.

For show cars and race bikes they have professional grade painted-on chrome that does look like polished chrome. It is ultra fine aluminium applied over gloss black then coated with high gloss clear. The same could be done on gloss black polyester with a wash-off relief like dye-transfer mats then lacquered. It's not classic silver printing or a perfect replacement for daguerreotype but it would be safe to handle. I don't think there would be enough of a market to justify perfecting the process for making the paper.

Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i just got in the mail the actual info that polaroid had sent me a xerox of years ago.

it has various techniques of for antiquing polaroids, and it includes info for making the polaroid version of the daguerrotype ( faking it ) i didn't get a chance to call them today, but i'll call polaroid and ask them if is okay if i post a pdf of the article.

in a nutshell, it suggests using polaroid transparency film ( don't know if that is still made ) and putting reflective mylar behind it ... sandwiching it all between a piece of wood and glass and then putting it in a frame ...

i'll find out if they mind if i post it ... who knows, maybe they will come by and post it themselves ?

- john
    im empty, good luck

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Polaroid instant film that made a "slide" (either lantern slide size or a smaller one that would give a 120 slide mount) was a roll format, same size as Type 42 and Type 47. That should give you some idea how long it's been discontinued...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin