Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,122   Online: 907

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a product made in the UK called Alclad and used in modelling and racing helmet design. As you said it's sprayed over a black paint and is available in chrome, polished and flat aluminium, steel, copper and a couple of other finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by phfitz
    Hi there,

"I don't see anything on paper looking like a polished silver plate."

It could be done fairly easily, of coarse the devil is in the details.

For show cars and race bikes they have professional grade painted-on chrome that does look like polished chrome. It is ultra fine aluminium applied over gloss black then coated with high gloss clear. The same could be done on gloss black polyester with a wash-off relief like dye-transfer mats then lacquered. It's not classic silver printing or a perfect replacement for daguerreotype but it would be safe to handle. I don't think there would be enough of a market to justify perfecting the process for making the paper.

Just a thought.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

I'll ruin everyone's day with this, oh well.

The magic to daguerreotypes is the image floating above the mirrored surface gives it a 3 dimensionality that nothing else can quite match.

The magic to psuedo-chrome is applying it over a black background, any other color lessens the effect.

SO, we could have glass plates vacuum plated with aluminium like telescope mirrors, or we could apply mylar mirror film to black photo-paper then coat it with a high grade VC emulsion and a super smooth finish. Instant daguerreotypes in any silver darkroom and no dangerous chemicals involved.

We could have 3M or Dupont apply mylar to black polyester and run it off by the mile but I don't think there's enough of a market for that. Maybe we could get Fuji or Kodak to apply their color emulsion to it for full color daguerreotypes. 3D holograms? The possiblities are endless.

Another walk thru the garden of a diseased mind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin