Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,792   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    Temp was 70, to start. It may have gradually dropped for each step after that. The final wash was 68
    Not enough temperature difference to be a factor.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That shouldn't be enough to cause reticulation problems, at least in my experience. Was the film old, or perhaps acquired from a shop that may not have kept it from getting too hot in storage? I've never seen anything quite like this, but I'd be more suspicious of the film than of the developer - unless it was a really old bottle. Even then, HC-110 concentrate is very long lived, generaly speaking.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    thanks. I think I'll go back to rodinal and silver based films. never did like tmax anyway.
    What dilution of HC110 did you use and what kind of water did you dilute it with? If it was your tap water, have you pH tested it lately?

Are you using a well calibrated thermometer?

Two comments:

1. APUG Sponsor RH Designs sells a wonderful digital photographic thermometer at a very reasonable price - I love mine!

2. Tmax is a silver Tgrain film - with very fine grain and high acutance.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    HC-110 and T-Max do not seem to "like" each other, but I've never had the mottling problem you describe. Plain old D-76 is actually the best developer around for T-Max films, any format.

When using HC-110 and any B&W film, in any format, Dilution B is waaaaay too strong I find. Weaken your solution and extend your developing times. It's a small possibility that too high a temp and too strong a solution of HC-110 *might* be the cause of your problem. Hard to say.

good luck

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! Certainly is a lot to think about!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I missed your earlier statement that you used dilution B.

The image you posted is very pixilated and that makes it difficult to judge, but it looks overdeveloped to me.

If you diluted the HC110 with either high pH water or hot water (or both), that could give your working developer a significant activity boost.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    The image you posted is very pixilated and that makes it difficult to judge, but it looks overdeveloped to me.

If you diluted the HC110 with either high pH water or hot water (or both), that could give your working developer a significant activity boost.
    Working solution was mixed at 70 deg.
    My litmus paper is probably 10 years old and my garden/potting soil ph tester only works in soil. I have no idea what the ph is, but I do know the city decided to add floride. I've had other negs that didn't do this, so I'm guessing I just had a bad day. Could've been the agitation too. The image was a flat bed scan of the negative. But, I looked at the neg with a loop, and it's still bad. It's not that great of an image to fret about. I just wondered so I wouldn't do it again on something good (good neg).

Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin