Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,703   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tmax 100 with HC110 is mottled

I developed two rolls of Tmax 100 in HC110 dilution B at 70 degrees and they came out mottled. Is that due to HC110 being 'high energy'?

Thanks.....

Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, it's from something else.

(And HC-110 is not higher energy than any other developer)

How is it mottled ? Have you had good results with this combination before ?

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Don. You've got some other ghost in the machine. Any chance film was sticking together in processing?

B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You didn't mention the film size. Was it 120?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If your development times are short you may need to pre-wet to get more even results (or so I've been told) - with any developer, not just HC-110. If the mottling is very white/grey, it is likely that your film was touching itself and it didn't get fixed (or developed) properly. If the mottling is in area like the sky, where you have a large even area of the same tonal value, then it is possible that there was too much fluid in the can and not enough agitation happened.

There are any number of reasons, but if you could attach a thumbnail image it would help narrow it down.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was 35mm film. I presoaked for two minutes with agitation to eliminate the purple dye. Agitated 30 - 60 seconds (don't remember), then for 10 seconds every minute (gently), then used a water stop bath. Fixed for 5 minutes in Ilford non-hardening fixer. Looks more like grain. Never mind the composition/exposure...it was just an experiment.

Thanks...

Dorothy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mottled_neg.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The almost looks like reticulation. What was the temperature of the pre-wet, water stop, fixer, and wash?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think Matt has got it. If the temp varies too much between chemicals, the emulsion can crack causing reticulation, which looks like what you have here.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    The almost looks like reticulation. What was the temperature of the pre-wet, water stop, fixer, and wash?
    Temp was 70, to start. It may have gradually dropped for each step after that. The final wash was 68

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks. I think I'll go back to rodinal and silver based films. never did like tmax anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin