Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,522   Online: 1027

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Omega Diffusion Head/VC Paper?

Does anyone have direct experience with the Omega diffusion heads made for the D2 enlargers, particularly with VC papers? Is this a good alternative to an Aristo head?
    Thanks,
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Omega cold light diffusion head, came with my enlarger along with the condenser head when I bought my D3 in the mid 70's. I don't think it is "good" alternative to an Aristo head. Mine has one fluorescent tube and is slow and difficult to focuses. I only use graded paper's with 5X4 and 6X9 negatives. I have even considered taking my head to a lamp repair shop to see if a smaller tube can added to to inside of the existing tube increase the brightness. Given a choice I would think twice about an old Omega cold light.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thank you very much for the feedback.
    N

You can even out the bright ends with mylar tape strip to keep the 2-4 O`clock and 8/10 O`clock segments of the tube from hitting the 4 in dimension of the neg. Then you add a vertical strip by each corner. I got mine to light perfectly.

Mylar is the silver slide binding tape 1/4 wide.

Ok for 4x5 but too little light for smaller formats.

Get an Aristo low power for 4x5 or a high power for smaller formats. Get the V54 tube model.

They make a nice one with a filter drawer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal
    [COLOR=Blue]Does anyone have direct experience with the Omega diffusion heads made for the D2 enlargers, particularly with VC papers? Is this a good alternative to an Aristo head?
    Thanks,
    Neal[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]I tried one with my D3, but was given an Aristo head for it, which I didn't find to be any better.

Now I use a D5-XL Super Chromega with Dichroic head and Chromegatrol. With VC papers I find this gives the most control over contrast than anything else.

I could understand the concepts behind the Aristo heads, but really, the results weren't that much better[/SIZE][/FONT].[/COLOR]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin