Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,553   Online: 956

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Omega IID Help!!!

So I recently purchased an Omega IID Enlarger and I'm having troubles withe the condenser lenses. I'm not sure how they are supposed to be held in there. If i put them in position that seems correct the sit touching each other like |)(|. I don't think they should touch but i can find no way to suspend the top condenser lens. if anyone can help and even send some pics for example it would be great. It is possible that I am missing something, But i won't know without an example. Thanks for everyone's help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There should be a corrugated metal band that goes around the inside of the cylinder and keeps them separate. You've got the orientation right--convex to convex. Insert the bottom lens, the metal band, and the top lens. If you are missing the metal band, you might try and order one from www.classic-enlargers.com.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I saw that in the bottom of the box and thought it was to help as a heat shield. Thanks i'll do that.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's also a trick for getting the second condenser glass into place without covering it with fingerprints, chipping/scratching it against the lower glass, or worst of all dropping it and doing heaven only knows what damage. Make a loop of thread, fold it in half, grab the fold, and put the two looped ends around the condenser so they suspend it, convex side down. If you made the loop short enough (or if you "choke up) a little on the fold), the thread will hold the glass securely while you lower it into place on top of the corrugated band, and then you can let the tension off the loop and work the thread out from under the glass by pulling on one strand at a time.

Any other method is very likely to result in fingerprints, at best, and much worse (more expensive) problems as a strong possibility. Replacement glass for those costs a good chunk if you have to buy it from Classic Enlargers...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin