Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,030   Online: 1155

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Durst M601 light source question

I inherited Durst M601 enlarger with 2 beautiful Schneider lenses and CLS 66 color mixing head from a friend. It was a good timing as my old Opemus5 was starting to give me a trouble. I was like a little kid putting it all together this afternoon and made a couple of test prints. All seems to work well for now, it is a beautiful machine. I want to keep using the color mixing head for easier contrast control.
    One thing I found out pretty quick was that the light source is much stronger than Iím used to. I did 5x7 print with f16, 30 magenta and it took only 15 sec to expose the paper. Thatís too fast for me, especially when dodging and burning needed. It came with 100W halogen light, but since I am planning to buy spare bulb, I think something around 70W would be more suitable, taking the heat into consideration as well. Could anyone recommend me a bulb for this type of enlarger, and mainly where to get it? Would a regular halogen be suitable? I am not planning to do any color printing, at least not in near future. Thanks!

Metod
    Last edited by metod; 05-31-2006 at 07:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: retyping the name

Shooter
    Large Format
    Why do you want to change bulbs? Simply dial in some cyan to create neutral density if you need more time.

There is probably very little difference in heat generation if you replaced with a 75 watt bulb, if you could find one.

For information, my Saunders uses a 250 watt lamp. My Durst 138S has recently been converted to a 1000 watt halogen.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Donald. So adding some cyan in addition to magenta or yellow should be OK? Then Iíll just leave it the way it is. But still, what about the replacement bulb if I need one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes adding cyan would kick in some grey neutral density.

Is f:16 your last stop? Just close down to f:22 if you can.

Otherwise any halogen lamp of the same shape will do the work (they usually have a built-in reflector). I wonder if a 70W type exists at all, though.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin