Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,568   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Beseler Vs nikkor

I have a beseler 67 enlarger with a 50 3.5 lens and an thinking about getting a nikkor lens.
    I have some questions.
    how good is the beseler lens?
    How much would be a nikkor 50 2.8 lens canadian
    How better is the nikkor? i just got a 50 1.8 for my canon to use alsongside with the zoom. i find it sharper, more contrasty, and better colors and a lot faster than the zoom:5.6
    Would i have a lot better prints from it? the one i use now is fine but i might want better.
    Sorry for this being long.
    mArko
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marko

There is not a lot of difference between enlarging lenses, as long as you get a 6-element lens. On the other hand, 4-element lenses are more on the budget-side of things. I don't know what category your current lens belongs to, but the nikkor 2.8/50 is an excellent 6-element lens and highly recommendable.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There are a different types of Beseler lenses. The 'Color Beselar' (I think they were called) were better than the other Beselers that I've seen, but I think that if you get a El-Nikkor that is the 6 element variety you will get better results. There are 4 element and 6 element El-Nikkors as far as I know, and the 6 element lenses are the better of the two. I'm not overly knowledgable about these, but I think that all of this is correct.

For 35mm look for a 50mm lens, and for medium format look for the 80mm. You should be able to find these fairly inexpensively.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 is a six element lens. I've used them for 35 years with complete satisfaction. The EL-Nikkor 50mm f/4 is a nice four element lens. I consider the f/2.8 worth the extra money for its performance and ease of focusing. I've encountered off-brand and even kit lenses on good enlargers that were poor, and others that could produce good images when stopped down.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    The EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 is a six element lens. I've used them for 35 years with complete satisfaction. The EL-Nikkor 50mm f/4 is a nice four element lens. I consider the f/2.8 worth the extra money for its performance and ease of focusing. I've encountered off-brand and even kit lenses on good enlargers that were poor, and others that could produce good images when stopped down.
    I have a 4-element 50mm F4 EL-Nikkor, and that's good for general use. Mine was almost brand new that I paid very minimum at an online auction.

In smaller sized prints up to 8x10", the difference between the F4 and the F2.8 models hardly matters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's easy; Beseler lens, junk, El Nikkor excellent. I had a Beseler lens when I got a Beseler enlarger three plus decades ago as I was moving up. The lens was crap and the pictures were crap. I bought an El Nikkor and WOW the prints came out sharp and nice. Moral of the story, You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some more modern Beseler 50/2.8 enlarging lenses out there that are rebadged Rodenstock Rodagon APO lenses. Maybe keep an eye out for one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shameless plug.

I've got a 50/2.8 El-Nikkor in the classifieds right now.

John
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I concur with all the above posts in praise of the 50/2.8 El-Nikkor. It is an excellent lens and worth every penny I paid for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With current give away prices, the 6 element f2.8 would be fine. I personally own a 4 element f4 El-Nikkor that has made great 16x20 prints sharp to the edge from 35mm negatives. At one time I was thinking about getting the 6-element lens, but I got a hasselblad instead :>).

Now I wish I had bought the hasselblad 40 years ago and saved half a lifetime trying to get 35mm to do the job. I would have saved a ton of money on cameras that are now worth little and fill up a good part of a closet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin