Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,023   Online: 881

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    I use the procedure for dry-mounting outlined in the Seal manual. Pre dry matboards and prints. Tack drymount tissue to print. Put print (with tissue) in press between two sheets of silicone release paper. Press for a little while. Take print out. Use a Rotatrim to cut print (and bonded tissue) to exact size. Postion print on mat board. Tack, press, and cool under a weight.
    Hi Peter, I haven't read the Seal manual but what you're saying makes alot of sense.

Are you using Color Mount? Do you initially press for about 30 seconds or so? I guess the trick would be to not melt the tissue, but just to get it to stick to the paper...this makes it possible to peel away one corner so you can tack it to the mat board?

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Murray,

Yes, I mainly use Color Mount. I bond it to the back of the print for about 30 seconds, although I don't think that this is too critical. The mounting tissue does bond completely to the back of the print. After the print/tissue is trimmed to size--which guarantees that the print and the tissue are exactly the same size, and that they are perfectly aligned--position the print on the mount board. Tack a small spot by putting your tacking iron on the front of the print, using a small piece of release paper between the print surface and the tacking iron. I always do this along either the top or bottom edge of the print, as Seal recommends. I haven't noticed any problems on the prints from doing this. Then into the press it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't get it. What holds the window mount to the back board? I thought you tacked the mount paper to the picture back, placed the oversized paper on the back board and window mount on top and 'pressed' the entire assembly. I don't have a dry mount press and have never dry mounted anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce, You hinge mount the window mat to backing mat at the top with a fabric tape.

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbasierb
    Bruce, You hinge mount the window mat to backing mat at the top with a fabric tape.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, makes sense now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never seem to see the current varieties of dry-mount tissue being recommended for fiber base paper. Rather, they all seem to be intended to be low temperature (170-200) adherents for RC papers and such. Is the Bienfang/Seal Color Mount tissue good for FB papers? If not, which one/ones are?
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    I never seem to see the current varieties of dry-mount tissue being recommended for fiber base paper. Rather, they all seem to be intended to be low temperature (170-200) adherents for RC papers and such. Is the Bienfang/Seal Color Mount tissue good for FB papers? If not, which one/ones are?

I have prints that I mounted with Color Mount almost thirty years ago. No signs of any problems..I mount at 190-200 F.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Over Matting

This is why I have not cared for floating mats besides that I think over-bevel edge matting that only slightly crops image is a more attrative display.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Hello John,

I use Bienfang/Seal Fusion 4000 for "salon" mounting FB papers. It's "archival" and removable.

Shane
    www.shaneknight.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a bit suprised that many have not seen work before with a float mount. Adams work is presented this way as well as John Sextons. I mount both ways, float or linen tape behind an over mat. If it is for a sale, the float mount is what I use. For exhibits and other uses, I will tape mount because it is a lot less work than doing a really good float mount.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin