Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,704   Online: 942

Shooter
    4x5 Format

beseler 45 s settings

can anyone tell me the color dial settings for the different grades of paper useing a beseler 45s on forte pol V paper.
    thanks
    mitch

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check the specs that come with the paper. It will give you a starting point.
    for example with Ilford MC 30M "may be about grade 3".

some where in my files i have booked marked a site that can help you with calibration of a color head; perhaps someone else will speak up and provide that url.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get a copy of Steve Anchell's "Variable Contrast Printing Manual". It details calibrating the head readings per paper to contrast grades. Available at amazon.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    35mm
    Mitch,

In addition to the suggested reading given by Patrick, you could also get a copy of "way beyond monochrome" (Ralph W. Lambrecht & Chris Woodhouse). It has a chapter on how to calibrate a color head for VC BW printing. Better yet, it'is a sample chapter, which you can download for free in pdf. Here it is: http://www.darkroomagic.com/Book/book.htm (scroll down to chapter 3 "Advanced print control").

I know you requested info relating to a specific paper, but I hope this is helpful anyway.

Dirk

Shooter
    Medium Format

Self Taught

Dirk, he will have to do it himself anyway. I tried to use the "suggested" settings in both single and split filter VC printing with my 45S, and found that there was a lot of variability. Especially across different papers.

So, an hour or so with a step tablet and a couple papers can be brought into fairly accurate grading. That is until the halogen lamp gets about half way through its life cycle...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin