Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,096   Online: 725

Shooter
    4x5 Format

beseler 45 s settings

can anyone tell me the color dial settings for the different grades of paper useing a beseler 45s on forte pol V paper.
    thanks
    mitch

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check the specs that come with the paper. It will give you a starting point.
    for example with Ilford MC 30M "may be about grade 3".

some where in my files i have booked marked a site that can help you with calibration of a color head; perhaps someone else will speak up and provide that url.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get a copy of Steve Anchell's "Variable Contrast Printing Manual". It details calibrating the head readings per paper to contrast grades. Available at amazon.
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    35mm
    Mitch,

In addition to the suggested reading given by Patrick, you could also get a copy of "way beyond monochrome" (Ralph W. Lambrecht & Chris Woodhouse). It has a chapter on how to calibrate a color head for VC BW printing. Better yet, it'is a sample chapter, which you can download for free in pdf. Here it is: http://www.darkroomagic.com/Book/book.htm (scroll down to chapter 3 "Advanced print control").

I know you requested info relating to a specific paper, but I hope this is helpful anyway.

Dirk

Shooter
    Medium Format

Self Taught

Dirk, he will have to do it himself anyway. I tried to use the "suggested" settings in both single and split filter VC printing with my 45S, and found that there was a lot of variability. Especially across different papers.

So, an hour or so with a step tablet and a couple papers can be brought into fairly accurate grading. That is until the halogen lamp gets about half way through its life cycle...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin