Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,669   Online: 887

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for info on Homrich enlarger

I've been looking around for a 4x5" enlarger for over a year now, and have come across a "Homrich color enlarger". I have never heard of Homrich though. Does anyone have some info on this brand? Is it any good? I mean, how would it compare to a Durst, DeVere, LPL, and the like?

I use a Durst condensor enlarger (M601) and use Ilford MG filters for Variable contrast B&W paper. How difficult is it to use a color head to manipulate print contrast? Or should I wait until I find an enlarger with a VC B&W head?

I apologize for the many questions, it's just been so long (over 13 years) since I've been in the market for an enlarger, so my knowledge on the topic is a bit rusty.

Thank you for any information you might want to share,
    Dirk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by another_dirk
    I use a Durst condensor enlarger (M601) and use Ilford MG filters for Variable contrast B&W paper. How difficult is it to use a color head to manipulate print contrast? Or should I wait until I find an enlarger with a VC B&W head?
    The ability to "dial in" various contrasts is far more convenient than flipping VC filters.

But the other side of the story is that that contrast range that you can achieve with a color head is not as wide as you can get with filters. In particular, color heads generally can't handle high contrast.

But there is no reason why you couldn't use a color head for most applications, but retain your VC filters to take care of special applications.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I used a Leitz V35 enlarger for several years with a color head and found it perfect for VC work. You only use the Y and M filters, but I had no trouble handling the full range of contrast with it, as well as easily using it for split contrast work.

If you use plastic filters below the lens, that may degrade the image (sharpness, e.g.) whereas filters above the lens will not. However, some color heads may not allow filters above the lens, making it all the better to use the built-in color filters.

Omega 4x5 enlargers are easily found and very reasonable. One of those with a cold light and above-the-lens filters is a superb option and very affordable.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin