Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 865

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, but there is no such thing as a archival digital medium; yet.

Massive, costly data migration is currently the only digital safeguard and, honestly, who here does that on a regular basis?

Film is truly an archival medium; a well washed negative can last well beyond 100 years and that has been proven repeatedly.

Archive on film, access (if you must) digitally but don't confuse computer archiving with film archiving; apples and oranges.

Shooter
    35mm
    What comes out of a scanner (bits), and what you make with an enlarger (prints) are completely different things. You can't compare, or equate them. Your slides are already an archival medium.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 06-19-2006 at 11:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: cant spell for $&!#

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Go for the enlarger, of course. It will produce real photos. Film is much more archival than any digital media.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "The scanner is good for 4000 dpi and from what I read would be equivalent to anything I could get out of the enlarger"

Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, but this is one heck of a thing to say on your first post here. If you intend to ever make a print (I'm kinda assuming that's why you would archive something), there ain't no equivalent to the enlarger.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Robert Ivy,

You have come to the wrong group to ask about scanners, though your question about an enlarger can easily be well answered here. You might try the large format photography forum over at:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info

While mostly large format, there are many posts you can find about various price ranges of scanners. Best of luck in your search.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This might sound obvious. But compare the enlarger with a printer, not a scanner. The scanner will not produce prints to look at and put up on the wall. I scanned a lot of negatives and worked on them in the computer before I came to the conclusion that analog printing is actually a faster way to the finished print and gives great results. And best of all: it is nothing like my day-job, sitting in front of a computer. I don't know about colour, though.

/matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanx for all the info. Knew that I'd get all the data that I'd need. Will move out with the scanner.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe you like the quality of the scanner, but you can never get to see it on a piece of paper just because there's no real good digital photo paper for B&W out there yet.

So, you'll probably end up staring at your computer screen forever if you haven't cover the basics of how to do it right. Or you'll have to stick to something rather cheesy most of the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oh bother.
    Last edited by kwmullet; 06-20-2006 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: should have known better than to think there was any way to avoid an analog/digital religious hissy fit in response to having an opinion one way or another. ugh.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't understand what you mean though. The scanner and enlarger do different things. You can't make print with a scanner.
    If you mean that you would scan than print with a printer then I would definitely go for the enlarger.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin