Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,634   Online: 1147

Shooter
    Multi Format

Should I buy a 4.0 or 5.6 Rodagon?

I'm purchasing a used enlarging lens and would like to know any benefits of the 4.0 over the 5.6 Rodenstock enlarging lenses ?
    Thanks for any input !
    GP

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not tells us more about what you wish to accomplish.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What focal length are you looking at? Is the f4.0 an APO? If you are doing B&W I don't think the higher price of the APO will buy you anything over the non-APO. There may be some benefit of the APO for very large color printing. Again - we can be more helpful if we know what your main printing intentions are.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Besides from the obvious difference of one f stop, that one stop can make a big difference during your printing "routine." I find most lenses are sharpest stopped down 2 to 3 stops. With the F4 that would be F8 or F11, a one stop advantage when determining exposure times. The minimum I use is 2 stops for flatness of field. Also, I think the F4 is a six element. I use the APO only when going 20x24.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry ...I had forgotten to write that the lens is an 80mm for 6x6 format . . Also, that I don't plan to enlarge any prints larger than @ 12x12" in B&W.

GP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gphoto120
    Sorry ...I had forgotten to write that the lens is an 80mm for 6x6 format . . Also, that I don't plan to enlarge any prints larger than @ 12x12" in B&W.

GP
    For that application I doubt that you will see any benefit from the f4; so go with the f5.6.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This Dave agrees with that Dave!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin