Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,066   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Aligning Beseler 67c

Over the course of using my new (to me) Beseler 67c, I've discovered that the thing is out of alignment. I noticed that some of my really detailed negs came out slightly out of focus when printing (with grain focuser) 8x8 prints from 6x6 120 negs shot in my rolleiflex mx. I have also noticed that when I remove the neg from the carrier and open the lens as far as it will go, and shine light on the baseboard, one side of the square is slightly out of focus. I've noticed that I can get the entire square in focus if tug on the enlarger head a bit, which leads me to believe it is out of alignment. I know this is a "budget" enlarger, but I still think I should be able to align it better than it is now.

Problem is, I bought the enlarger second hand and don't have a manual. I've scoured the net looking for it and can't find one. I'd love to know how to align this enlarger if anyone can forward a manual or lend some advice as to which screws to turn.

eric

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, don't have a 67C in front of me, but basically you want to align the negative stage to the baseboard. The neg. stage may have screws for leveling it. If you put a 8x10 piece of glass on the neg stage and check the distance of each corner is to the baseboard, you can level it.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the tip Jon. I'll try that.

My problem is that I am unsure which screws to start turning... Hopefully someone with a manual or some experience with this enlarger can chime in with some more info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric,

From my 67C manual:

To adjust the Negative and Lens stages, loosen (don't remove) the two Philips head screws on each side of the negative stage. The entire assembly may then be tilted from side to side and front to back until aligned. Tighten screws to secure.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric,
    Something else to consider...

The enlarger has three condenser lenses. Two marked "A," that always remain in place and one marked "B," the is left in place for small formats only.

Won't affect the focus, but will affect the evenness of illumination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pandino,

thanks so much for that info. I'll take a look at loosening those screws. Yeah, I had that "B" condenser lens in there for awhile when I started making 6x6 enlargements before I learned it was for smaller formats. Thanks so much for the help. You wouldn't happen to have your 67c manual in a PDF format would you?

eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, no PDF and no scanner. PM me your address and I'll mail you a Xerox copy.
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a great guy. Thanks so much for offering.

eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How do you align the LENS .
    The Neg. Stage is good and the base is good but the lens is WHY out !

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can align the lens by shimming the lensboard with tape.

Another method would be align the lens plane by shimming the column or easel, and then realign the negative stage to parallel.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin