Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,088   Posts: 1,635,914   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I asked this question about 30 years ago of one of the old-guard cigar chomping newspaper photogs that owned a pro-lab that I worked at. His answer was that as Roger stated, to cut down on what he called "frame flash", a bleed of light on the general easel area not part of the negative information.

I guess that the size variability issue is a genuine concern for masking by a carrier. I have filed out my beseler 35 carrier, even though FF ones are available. Seems like sellers of those think they are plated with gold. More often than not, I use the negatrans, which cuts more off the bottom of the frame due to the transport mechanism. A habit has been created to allow a little more frame space in composition.

A new issue I have run into is with the Mamiya RB backs. The newer SD backs have a slightly larger frame area than the Pro and ProS... It goes back to what old Cigar Bob said about composition, "if it's too tight it ain't right..."
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Are other manufacturer's carrier undersize?
    I have a Saunders 4550 and it's glassless carriers are pretty close to the correct size -- I've not had to do the filing that I had to with the Bessler. Additionally, their 4x5 glass carrier is slightly larger than 4x5, and it's meant to be used with a masking frame that allows you to (hypothetically) crop at the negative stage, but in reality, allows you to mask the flash mentioned in the previous message.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I too have the Saunders 4550 and the 6x6 neg carrier is just about full frame. I like it a bit wider so I will do some filing later today (I just got this rig).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David, to cut down on possible spurious reflections from your filing-out, run a black permanent marker over the bright metal surface. And be ABSOLUTELY sure to fine sand the edges (especially the 90) smooth to prevent scratching. How do I know this???
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks patrick. i have filed a bunch of carriers already and have been lucky enough never to have a problem.

I can't believe Saunders got so close but didn't go the extra milimeter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin