Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,353   Online: 1152

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Pedro,

I have just bought a Minolta enlarger and I would like to use it with multigrade papers.
    May I ask you, what results have you got and how do you use this enlarger to control the contrast? I mean what filter values do you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should find that the manufacturer of the paper includes a list of Y or Y/M values with the datasheet for grades from 0-5.

(also notice that this thread was started in 2006 and the last post to it was also in 2006! You may want to start a new thread of your own - and welcome to APUG!)

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder what happened to Pedro and how he got on with our advice seven years ago?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!
    I use Foma variant. Neither Foma nor Ilford gives Y/M values for Minolta enlargers.
    Earlier I used Ilford filters which were very easy, but with the diachoric head is very complicated. When I change the value of the filters, I change the amount of the light and the ISO speed of the paper. I dont even know how many stops I change with the filters.

Shooter
    35mm
    A bit of googling suggests that the Kodak group of filter numbers will work for the Minolta.

The actual Foma filters are not speed matched (and use double filters for the extreme grades) but, as a starting point, you could try the Multigrade suggestions for neutral density and grade from the Ilford website. If that doesn't work out, then making two exposures - one max yellow and one max magenta - will give you some sort of system which you can repeat (the infamous split-grade idea). Many people, me included, also use the Ilford under-lens filters with white light from the colour-head to print on various brands of variable-contrast paper.

Maybe the OP is still in his darkroom?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with using the Kodak numbers as a starting point. However, one advantage of the dichro head is the ability to use values in between the stated grades. For instance, Ilford gives grade 2 1/2 as 5 magenta, and grade 3 as 30 magenta. But, I find a lot of my negatives need 10 magenta. Yes exposure times change. You will have to do new test strips at the new filter setting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minolta Mod III? If so, I use the "DURST (170max)" Ilford filter reference. You can make your own chart also ( http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/5...olor-head.html )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin