Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,303   Online: 1206

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

why is it so hard to find a 150mm enlarger lens on ebay?

I have been trying this for a couple of days now, and missed a couple of deals. After that, there is very few 150mm lenses to be found. Does anybody has any suggestion where to find it? Thanks.

Alex

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I found the same problem, for some time actually, and then I got an el-nikkor for $20. Go figure. If anyone has any ideas on their rarity, I'd like to know also. I was beginning to think there was some sort of conspiracy going on.

- Randy

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "A couple of days" is a short time. It took me several weeks to get a 150mm Rodagon for under $20!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would think that patience and a few weeks or more would be neccesary to get any good lens for $20! There are bargains to be had, but $20!!!!
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ole is right about the time. It took me about 6 weeks to get the one I picked up the other day. It depends a lot on how you search as well. No one bid against me on the one I got for $20...

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    A few years ago it was easier to find them. I think the new popularity of 4X5 has dried up the cheap supply of lenses, enlargers and other items that studios were giving away when they all switched to digital. I know that the large format section of ebay has a much smaller selection than four years ago and a lot of it is actualy medium format. Have you seen how many Holga's are in LF?
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just an obervation: 135mm and 180mm lenses seem much easier to find. I use a 180mm Rodagon for 5x7", and a 150mm for 4x5". 210mm Rodagons have 58mm threads, which is more difficult to find lensboards for. So after I got one and discovered the lensboard would cost three times as much, I got a $15 180mm. I've been very satisfied with that. I assume the 135mm will cover 4x5" just as well as the 180mm covers 5x7"!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 135 EL Nikkor on my 45MCRX and have no trouble with coverage on 4x5. I suppose makes exposures a little faster too, perhaps at the expense of some theoretical edge sharpness, but I can't find any fault that I can see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

150/5.6 Componon Cheap right now. Ends in about 15 hours.

Good luck!

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    I have a 135 EL Nikkor on my 45MCRX and have no trouble with coverage on 4x5. I suppose makes exposures a little faster too, perhaps at the expense of some theoretical edge sharpness, but I can't find any fault that I can see.

Using a slightly wider enlarging lens isn't only about a loss of edge sharpness but a light fall off factor. When you print with a longer lens you are moving the enlarger lens further from the neg therefore making the distances between the center of the neg to the lens, and the edge of the neg to the lens more similar. You are reducing a sort of focus foreshortening. This can also make it easier to get good edge to edge focus on the neg. You are also projecting from a smaller area of the enlarger's light source, that is you are not using the edges of the condensers or diffuser but are using a smaller centered section. It's just more even.

The fall off factor is not as bad when you shoot B&W, where the fall off of the taking lens is somewhat equalized by the fall off of the enlarger lens, they work in opposite and balance eachother. The fall off of the enlarger lens means less light passes through to the printing paper on the edges, and as the edges of the neg are usually thinner than the center due to it's taking len's fall off, a balance is struck. However if you print color from a chrome, the fall off of the taking lens is added to the fall off of the enlarging lens giving you very noticeable fall off on the print.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin