Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,162   Online: 1188

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Glass or Glasless Neg Carrier

I understand the extra care required by the Glass carrier-I read some past forums and it seems that more prep time is the only downside. I am looking for a 6x7 carrier for a Beseler 23C and have found one of each. I don't mind the setup time but is the glass necessary for a flat neg with 6x7. The largest I can print with my enlarger is 11x14 if that matters.

Thanks in for you thoughts.
    MAtt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are really two issues - some negs that want to curl and the glassless carrier masks a small part of the image frame. I try to use the glassless carrier when I can, but when either of these issues arises I go for the glass carrier.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I use the beseler 6x9 glass carrier and it works great (except for opening and closing the carrier all the way. Can print the whole frame of 6x7 negs and keeps even end of strip negs flat. I haven't noticed any more trouble with dust. Make sure to get the anti-newton ring glass for top and adjust the glass position so the carrier closes flat.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree with Jon,
    Jons prints in the APUG show were spectacular , the image dungeness is strikenly beautiful. very sharp , with beautiful tonality. No hint of being in glass whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu
    I use the beseler 6x9 glass carrier and it works great (except for opening and closing the carrier all the way. Can print the whole frame of 6x7 negs and keeps even end of strip negs flat. I haven't noticed any more trouble with dust. Make sure to get the anti-newton ring glass for top and adjust the glass position so the carrier closes flat.

Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should the carrier come with anti-newtonian glass from beseler or is that an add-on/upgrade. Thanks for the replies so far!!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk
    Should the carrier come with anti-newtonian glass from beseler or is that an add-on/upgrade. Thanks for the replies so far!!
    I believe you can buy it either way. By the way, much cheaper to get the AN glass from focal point.

Jon

ps thanks for the kind words bob.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Jon Shiu]I believe you can buy it either way. By the way, much cheaper to get the AN glass from focal point.

QUOTE]

I have the kind withought the Anti-Newton glass. Its a 6x9. I've been so busy, that I haven't had a chance to use it. Can I get an AN glass to replace it? What's focal point's website?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i use glassless for MF and 35mm
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wish you beautiful light
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For my Beseler (but not for my Omega D2V) I had my 35mm and 6x6 carriers filed out years ago by Steve Grimes. I prefer glassless carriers when printing a frame from the middle sections of a neg strip.

But when printing the first or last frame on a strip of 35mm or 6x6, I prefer the glass carrier to insure that the extreme/cutoff end remains completely flat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin