Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,085   Online: 994

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format

keep the six element lenses

I agree with the others and would get rid of the omegarons and rogonar. The bad news is that you'll not get much money for them. Perhaps you could donate them to a school program or deserving young analog photographer.

While with small ratio enlargements you'll not see a great difference, why enlarge with less than the best if you don't need to. The 105 Rodagon is great for all medium format when supersize is not important. It is likely no better, or worse than the 80 you have, just better coverage. I use a 105 el-nikkor for all my 6x6 and 6x7 work. It is comparable to the rodagon, but I do not make huge enlargements.

I have a 150 componon-s for 4x5 for the same reason, no huge enlargements and probably more even coverage than a 135 though I've not done the tests.

The el-nikkor 50 is a classic for 35mm enlarging and I still have mine though it's been years since I enlarged any 35 film. The old debates between the 135 vs 150 for 4x5 are equal to those between the 80 and 105 for medium format. With those lenses you've got it all, more than strictly necessary, but nice. Print away!

Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Disapointment

Most all the lenses that arrived with the enlarger were in awful shape. The Rogonar-S is full of fungus, or what I think is fungus. The others look like they were played with by a small child with slobber all over his hands. Oh well. Thanks for the comments.

I'll probably be using my big EL-Nikkor 150mm most of the time, anyway, and I love the Saunders 4500 enlarger itself, which is in great shape. Go figure.

So, I'll probably be keeping my componon-s 135mm. Only down side is it has 42mm threads, and I can't find a lensboard online that fits the 4500 series enlarger with this somewhat odd thread size.

Any ideas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin