Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Help me decide amongst these enlarging lenses!

I am in the enviable postion of having too many enlarging lenses. I currently have an ancient Beseler 4x5 enlarger. I own a 150mm EL-Nikkor 5.6 lens, a 135mm Schneider Componon-S 5.6 lens, and a Schneider 80mm Componon-S 4.0 lens.

Recently I won an auction on a Saunders 4500 VCCE outfit (yeah!), and it comes with a whole batch of lenses:

Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:4.5 f=105mm; Rodenstock Rodagon 1:5.6 f=105mm; Rodenstock-Omegaron 1:4.5 f=150mm; Rodenstock-Omegaron 1:3.5 f=50mm and El Nikkor 1:2.8 f=50mm

The lenses from the auction are pictured here:
    http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/c3/82/3e_3.JPG

Here is my question: I don't do much 35mm, but just in case, I guess I'll hang on to the 50mm lenses. 90% of my work is in 4x5, with a bit of medium format occasionally.
    Which of the lenses above, would you hang on to, and why?

I don't know much about the Rodenstock lenses, and how they compare to my current lenses, although, I have liked the results from my 150mm Nikkor lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had an Omegaron 150 and it was a sweet lens, sharp and contrasty. Can't say much about the others except to say the EL Nikors have a good reputation. Maybe you should try making some test prints with them and see which one has the right feel for your work.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Rodagon, Componon S, and El Nikkor lenses are all better lenses than the Rogonor or Omegaron lens. The differences between the first three listed are slight and you will probably notice very slight differences, if at all, between them. I own all three of these as well as one Omegron lens that I have never used.

The Omegaron is an entry level lens.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you want to keep only three:

Nikkor 150
    Schneider 80
    Nikkor 50

A fourth would be the 105 Rodagon

I would dump the Omegarons but all the others are great lenses

I am a big fan of Rodagons.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just recieved the 50mm El-Nikkor 2.8N and its sharp and contrasty, alot more than I was expecting from such a cheap lens. If you've made your choice and aren't looking to keep any, post the ones you wanna get rid of up here. I need a 105mm for the occasional smaller print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have to get rid of any? -)

The 150mm would be my first choice for 4x5. Unless you need to make really big prints that push your enlarger. Then the 135mm.

The 80mm is the choice for 6x6.

The Rodenstock Rodagon 1:5.6 f=105mm for 6x9

The Nikon f/2.8 50mm is fine for 35mm.

The only of the above I might get rid of is the 135mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Componons, Rodagons, and Nikkors you mentioned are all top quality lenses. Keep all of them, and sell off the Rogonars and Omegarons.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Donald said.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Printing with them is undoubtedly the answer, but assuming all live up to their reputations and match my own experiences, I would keep:

The 150 Nikkor and 80 componon s you already have.
    Add Nikkor 5o and poss the 105 rodagon assuming you are not desperate for the cash gained by selling them.

The same as raucous then!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

To keep

I would agree with the others as to keeping the componon-s rodagon etc. and agree you won't see much difference.
    The rogonar-s is a good lens, I havew this one in a 150mm version and can say I can not tell the difference betwee it and my 135mm componon-s. I have also enlarged with other componon-s lenses at another darkroom run by a picky professional and I couldn't tell the difference between my 150mm roganar- and his 135mm componon-s....neither could he.
    Bottom line is the Roganar-s is listed on the rodenstock site as an entry level lens, but it is the highest quality entry level lens you'll find, 4 lelments and highly corrected with an optimum enlarging range of up to 6X at 4X is the recomended ratio by rodenstock just happens to be 16X20 from a 4X5 neg.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin