Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,403   Online: 910

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can print 6x4.5 - 6x9, now what bout 35mm?

I have a kindermann enlarger with a Schneider Kreuznach Componar 105 f4,5. An enlarger platform that lets me put the paper down as far as 4.5-6 foot away from the enlarger lens ( its got like four slots for the paper board ). I currently have this glass negative holder, that seems to hold upto a 6x9 frame, and has these 4 sliders that I assume will let me block light to the other frame so it just shows the frame selected. Now I'm wondering two things.

1) Is the kindermann universal enough that I could just go find a square-shaped 35mm film holder. (I've seen plenty of round ones that look like flat pans)

2) Would be ideal for me to get a different enlarger lens for the purpose of 35mm enlargement.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you've got a 4-blade neg mask, then the 6x9 glass neg carrier should be fine. There's no real need to use a dedicated 35mm neg carrier.

Since enlarging lenses are cheap these days, you might want to upgrade to 6-element lenses for 6x9 and 35mm (like Componon-S or Rodagon), but unless you can't make big enough enlargements from 35mm with the 105mm lens you have, there's no rush.

Another reason to use a 50mm lens with 35mm is that you won't have to raise the head as high, and that can reduce the effect of enlarger vibration, but unless that's a noticable problem, use what you've got for now, until you find a better lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information, I may be checking out the enlarger lens when I get back to work monday. Btw what you think about the Nikon enlarger lens, we got a few of those at work.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Nikkon enlarger lenses are also good but due to the fact that 35mm enlargements are getting more critical the best 50mm lenses are comming from Schneider (Companon-S) or Rodenstock (Rodagon) or even better their APO versions. All these 6 or 7-element lenses have an aperture of 2,8 and standard M39 mounting.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The EL-Nikkor lenses are also good lenses, generally with particularly good contrast. Do some research to figure out which are the 4-element and which are 6-element designs before purchasing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 50mm f/2.8 EL-Nikkor is a fine six element lens. I've used them for 38 years. Their 50mm f/4 is a decent four element lens.

I'm not familiar with the Kindermann enlarger. To adapt my DeJur 4x5 condenser enlarger for 35mm, I had to improvise an extender to place the negative carrier below it's original position for efficient and uniform illumination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    The 50mm f/2.8 EL-Nikkor is a fine six element lens. I've used them for 38 years. Their 50mm f/4 is a decent four element lens.

I'm not familiar with the Kindermann enlarger. To adapt my DeJur 4x5 condenser enlarger for 35mm, I had to improvise an extender to place the negative carrier below it's original position for efficient and uniform illumination.
    *click to enlarge*

-Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It looks like a nice sturdy enlarger. When using a 50mm lens for 35mm film, you perhaps can vertically adjust the lamp with its rod to get the best illumination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My co-worker just hooked me up with a Beseler Color Pro 1:2.8/50, or what he calls a Roddenstock or something.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin