Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,934   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Static when spooling

So I've just started the process of rolling a 120 film onto a plastic reel tonight when my all too regular thought of; 'is it dark enough in here' starts to set in'. Of course it is, as it has been for the countless rolls of film before this one.

Difference tonight is the old, squeaky reel I'm using is misbehaving and generating a static spark of light as it recieves the film......annoying! After scouring the room (which has become a storage/dumping facility for family in my absence) for a good 15 minutes I finally have a new spool and can develop the film.

Four frames were fogged quite badly. Has anyone had a similar experience and/or do people take precautions to prevent this from happening?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That never happened to me. Granted, I am kinda new to the photographic world...
    Is it humid or dry where you are?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you fall below about 50% RH, then static is quite likely.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Is it humid or dry where you are?
    I suppose it is quite dry, but I have no means to measure or yardstick to compare to. It is in a loft conversion in London.

Guess I'll just have to have a bucket of steamy water in the room

I thought it would be an issue of humidity, and in this case it really isnt that big a deal..... I was just suprised to see bright sparks of light next to my negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the type of film as well.

Major manufacturers such as Ilford, Kodak and Fuji incorporate antistatic compounds into the film layer and support to prevent this type of problem.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used to have that problem with Tech Pan - Slowing down and adding humidity helped a lot. - Mostly slowing down.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have had it once, with a 35 mm roll. I tried to rip off the gummy tape stuck at the end of the film, and the ensuing spark lit up like lightning in darkness. The roll was of course unspooled... Complete and utter failure. Since then, I am very careful, cutting any tape slowly with a sharp scissor.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan
    I have had it once, with a 35 mm roll. I tried to rip off the gummy tape stuck at the end of the film, and the ensuing spark lit up like lightning in darkness. The roll was of course unspooled... Complete and utter failure. Since then, I am very careful, cutting any tape slowly with a sharp scissor.
    That light generated by peeling tape away is technically not static electricity but rather is generated by the micro bonding force of the glue of the tape as it is being ripped apart.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have experienced the (incorrect but still easier to say) static spark when peeling the tape off of a 120 roll, but never serious enough to fog film. I usually cut the tape with scissors to be on the safe side (little kids blunt edged scissors to be on the even safer side!)

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had the same issue with 120 film. Now I just fold the tape over onto the film.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin