Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,080   Online: 791

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

darkroom problems

I use an LPL 7700 enlarger. When making a 16"x12" print quite often I cannot get enough space with my print easel (an LPL) as it is colliding with the enlarger column. Is there a way of moving the enlarger head away from the column? I am using 2.25" negs. Pyrometol

I made an extension for a Leitz Valoy from hardwood. Precision is a necessity. You need good woodworking machinery to hold tolerence.

The easiest thing for you is to make a wide narrow box with the top overhanging the bottom by 3 or 4 inches. The box is mounted sideways on the enlarging bench and the enlarger removed from it`s base and put on the overhang which allows the easel to go under the column.

I have one old Phillips with a short column mounted on a box like I descsibed.
    It works fine, but again the box must be made with precision.

Mine is 8x8 in on the ends and 20 in long. In addition to the ends, there are internal braces just outside the column mounting area. The solid ends and bracing keep the enlarger from flexing forward. With a heavy enlarger, I would add a column wall brace at the top. The long side facing the easel is open to allow access to mounting bolts.

What you are experiencing is the reason Omega makes slanting columns on their machines.

A wide angle enlarging lens will not help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was running an LPL7700 I also had the same problem, not always, but sometimes, especially when enlarging 645 negs.

I eventually found by using a small 12 x 16" easel as opposed to a 16 x 20" easel it was better.

Then I made up my own easel which is nothing more than a piece of chip board (I would use MDF these days) which measured 12½ x 16½" and I put a small stop board on two sides. One thing, it has to 100% square! This easel has been about the best thing I've made for my darkroom. As I use either colour or RC B&W paper, paper curl isn't too much of an issue for me.

I drew with a ball point pen paper sizes from postcard through to 12 x 16" on the board.

Failing that you can always wall enlarge by turning the head 90º and projecting to a wall.

Just some ideas for you to ruminate on.

Mick.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, try inserting the neg carrier from the left side instead of front.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin