Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,862   Online: 1184

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest you use trays not drums for you will miss the appearance of the image, still an exciting moment for me even after 30 odd years. More importantly in trays you will learn to assess the image under safelight conditions and after a while begin to reduce or extend development to bring subtle differences to the image. You cannot do this when using a drum.

An archival washer is not absolutely necessary although very nice if you can afford it and have the space. Someone mentioned a Kodak Tray Siphon, very good advice but don't try to wash too many prints at the same time when using it. I used one for 15 years before I aquired my first archival washer.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow...

I am so happy that so many people responded, and with such good advice. I at least know where to start now.

I'll be buying from J&C most likely, if that gives you any help on what I CAN get, for papers and developer. May go through B&H for a few things, but not too many. J&C support this site and, therefore, I want to support them. I'll be trying to get what I can used.

If I didn't have you guys as a helpful group of equally crazy individuals I don't know what I'd do.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Stephanie: I wish you were a little closer. I have a like-new condition Beseler 23CIII enlarger set up for both 35 mm and medium format that is collecting dust in my basement since I use my good old Omega D2 exclusively now. I'd love to make a good deal with someone who would put it to good use. Shipping might be pretty costly though.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, how costly? I didn't see any used enlargers in Iowa on Craig's List and I haven't seen anything on Ebay close to here either so either way I'm going to have to have one shipped. I KNOW that Beselar is a good enlarger...
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, and one other thing. Recommended books? I have The Print by Ansel Adams. I'll try and find Les' book. I'm going to stick with one printing technique at first like I should, but I wouldn't mind reading about others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim
    Oh, and one other thing. Recommended books? I have The Print by Ansel Adams. I'll try and find Les' book. I'm going to stick with one printing technique at first like I should, but I wouldn't mind reading about others.

Adams is fine - having a copy on your shelf makes it possible for you to call yourself a "serious photographer", and the illustrations are inspirational.

But if you want good, practical advice that applies to both rank beginners and seasoned professionals, written in plain English and meant to be understood, look for copies of David Vestal's two books, The Craft of Photography, and The Art of Black and White Enlarging. They are out of print, but can be found in used book stores.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone had both of the Vestal books in the classifieds recently.
    I agree they're two of the best books in my library easy to read & full of information.
    Another pair are the Ansel Adams Guides Vol l & ll by John Schaefer
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do colour and Black/White.

I use trays for B/W, and drums for colour, and ill just say that drums are a pain.

good luck

nlochner
    Where is the art in digital photography?..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Stephanie,

I have a great deal on a enlarger for you and I live in Iowa City, Iowa

I sent you a PM about the enlarger. Let me know

Jamie
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now THAT'S more like it. Heh. I'll be PMing you back soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin