Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,065   Online: 910

Shooter
    Multi Format

5x7 enlargement from 4x5 neg on Omega D-II?

Greetings!

For an upcoming project I would like to do slight enlargements of 4x5 negs onto 5x7 paper. For the project I think an intimate small print will be ideal.

A reason for this choice is to make a slightly larger print than a 4x5 contact.. Also to avoid needing to mask the edges of a contact print (I want to keep a white border). To avoid the dust issues of contact printing under glass. And to be have the ability to reproduce a print many times (centering a 4x5 frame on 5x7 paper is more difficult for me in a proofing/contact frame than it is using a 4 bladed easel)

.....So, here is my problem.....

My omega D-II with 150mm lens and 4inch cone does not allow me to make an enlargement that is in focus on a 5x7 sheet of paper without cropping off about 1inch of the long side of the negative.

I need a little bit more bellows extension (about 1.5-2 inches at most) which doesnt seem possible, enlarger is already extended to its maximum. I have tried raising the paper/easel as well as a bunch of different enlarger heights but it all comes down to needing to have a bit more extension in the bellows or a alternately a longer cone.. I dont think such a cone exists..

Without getting a new lens I don't see how I will be able to do this.. Does anyone have any suggestions? This seems to be the end of the road for me,.. I already have made the decision for the paper and purchased it, I made the mistake of assuming I could do this without checking first..

(as a note, I am not using a 'real' enlarging lens, if it makes any difference I am taking the Schneider Symmar 150mm f/5.6 lens with board off of my camera and taping it onto the cone and enlarging using that.. In the past for 8x10 enlargements this has worked very well... but for the next few months I've intended to use 5x7...)

thanks for your time!
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's possible with a 135mm lens with the 4 inch cone if you're wondering. The only thing i think you could do is make a new cone. I made one for my nikkor macro lens i use for 35mm negs. I started with a rigid plastic but masonite should work.
    Take out your existing cone and use the upper portion as a pattern. Get some Black pvc pipe from the lumber yard and get it cut to several lenghts in the range you think will work. Glue the two together. Cut out the middle of the board in the diameter of the pipe. Add a pvc pipe cap with a hole large enough for the lens and glue that on. There you go. I think i have an old 135mm componon enlarging lens somewhere if you need one for the job. PM me and maybe i can loan it out. What cone do you have?
    vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do it all the time. In fact I can make a 3x5" reduction from a 4x5" neg on my Omega D-II with a 150mm Apo-Componon without having to use the reduction bellows, if I prop the easel up on a box.

I suspect the issue is the way your lens is mounted. A camera lens will be recessed into the lensboard, and an enlarging lens will be mounted on the end of the lensboard, about an inch or so forward.

Isn't it about time to get a real enlarging lens? That's the easiest solution, and used enlarging lenses are pretty cheap these days.

You could also try to find the reduction bellows, which fits in place of the cone and has more extension.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

There are 2 cones for D2 : 2.75 in and 4.5 in ( www.classic-enlargers.com ). I have both. With 4.5 inch cone and 150mm lens , a 5x7 inch enlargement is easily made.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I seem to recall having a cone larger than 4 inches, but I've never used it.

I agree with everyone else - get a nikkor-el 135 or something similar and you should be fine.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks everyone, for the time being I think I am just going to crop slightly on the ground glass and print with the setup I've been using up until now
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin