Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,969   Online: 1165

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easel color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with black easels is that you can't see the image on them without having a piece of paper in them. I have never experienced the problem with B&W papers whether the color was white or yellow.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks!

OK, I gather it's not a problem that is of concern to most people. The only way I can think of to test it would be to try a print with and without a piece of black paper behind the printing paper. I suspect I wouldn't notice any difference. I just needed a sanity check.

Thanks for all the replies.

-Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a problem some time ago and did find that white does effect the print. I did some experimenting andf the black was the best. See this thread posted some time ago... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/9151-white-easel-discovery-problem.html
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    I had a problem some time ago and did find that white does effect the print. I did some experimenting andf the black was the best. See this thread posted some time ago... http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9151
    Great! Glad to see the discussion. I never thought to put a pattern on the easel and see if the pattern is visible on a print. I will try that with no negative in the enlarger and expose a piece of paper for a medium gray. If I see the pattern on the paper after I develop it, then I'll know there's a problem. I can understand how white would be an issue, but all of my easels have a flat yellow color which should reduce the problem.

When you think about it, the light that passes through the emulsion is also reflected to some extent by the bright white fibers of the paper all through the thickness of the paper. I guess the perfect paper would have a dark antihalation layer directly under the emulsion that turns bright white in developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Won't an easel color the same color as the safelight cancel out any color? I once had a "red'ish" piece of paper in the darkroom and I couldn't find it only to turn on the white light and see it. It didn't occur to me that the wavelength canceled it other out. (or am I just spacing out?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Won't an easel color the same color as the safelight cancel out any color? I once had a "red'ish" piece of paper in the darkroom and I couldn't find it only to turn on the white light and see it. It didn't occur to me that the wavelength canceled it other out. (or am I just spacing out?)
    I assume that the yellow color is specifically meant to absorb all but "safe" wavelengths. I have no doubt that yellow is better than white.

Paper thickness would be another factor. I print on Ilford MG IV these days, but I remember the old days when single weight paper was pretty thin. Some paper was even thinner, but I can't remember what they called it. Half weight?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have a black metal thing with marks fro 4x5 5x7 and 8x10 my easel is white but i put the paper on the black metal
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin