Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,168   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easel color.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Easel color.

Does anyone ever worry about light passing through the paper and reflecting back up from the easel to affect the print? I'm reading a book where the author says he uses a piece of black paper under the photographic paper in his easel just to be safe. He also mentions that some easels are black. Obviously, white easels would be the most prone to this problem.

After thinking about it, I like the idea of a black easel. Maybe dark gray so I can see the black blades. My Saunders easel is yellow, so light of a wavelength likely to affect the paper tends to be absorbed, but black would be even better. The idea is that you should then stick a throw-away print in there, face down, while you are composing and focusing. The focusing would actually be more precise because it is the same thickness as the paper you're going to be using. Then you take out the throw-away and replace it with the actual paper you're going to expose.

Any thoughts? Should I consider seeking professional counciling? Perhaps switch to better drugs? Start working out? Get a mistress?

-Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not believe it is an issue. I did a test some time ago with black, white and silver under the photo paper. The white and black showed no difference with even the silver showing a barely detectable effect. The post is in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/15162-paint-easel.html. Not sure what effect colour paper may show, or if thinner b&w paper than the one I tested (MGIV-RC) was used.

If I remember, I'll redo the test next time I am in the darkroom now that I have a densitometer...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only time I ever use a black enlarging easel, is when I'm enlarging onto film.

I don't think you will have any problem with a white easel. Remember that a white easel is a great aid to framing of your enlargement.

As for the throw away piece of paper, I cannot remember the amount of times I have left a throw away piece of paper on the easel, placed another (unexposed) sheet and then scooped both sheets up and dropped them into the developing tray.

I usually notice the second sheet, as I'm dropping the paper(s) into the tray.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan
    As for the throw away piece of paper, I cannot remember the amount of times I have left a throw away piece of paper on the easel, placed another (unexposed) sheet and then scooped both sheets up and dropped them into the developing tray.
    I think it was in a Fred Picker instructional video... He cements a piece of enlarging paper to the bottom surface of the grain focuser. That way, there is no danger of forgetting to use a "dummy" in the first place, or removing the dummy piece of paper before the actual enlargement... or finding two pieces of paper on the easel after the enlarging exposure and not knowing which to process.

That has worked well.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a white easel with black checkerboard markings on it; I've never experienced any problems with reflections.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So Dave, do you play Chinese Checkers in the darkroom?

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mick,

Generally I'm too involved trying to produce something that looks like a photograph for such frivolity.

Anyway, shouldn't you be in bed at this hour getting some beauty sleep?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beauty sleep, bit past that stage!

Actually, being self employed, I have a tendency to troll the APUG site late in the evenings after I have finished work, or a session in the darkroom.

I also hit APUG before I start work, bit of a worry, eh?

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I vaguely remember long ago encountering problems with reflections from a white easel. It may have been with the light-weight paper Kodak made without the baryta layer. Speed-Ez-El claimed their change from white to non-actinic yellow was to prevent such a problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan
    Beauty sleep, bit past that stage!

Actually, being self employed, I have a tendency to troll the APUG site late in the evenings after I have finished work, or a session in the darkroom.

I also hit APUG before I start work, bit of a worry, eh?

Mick.
    [font=Garamond][size=3]I know just what you mean Mick, I find I now need at least 3 hours solid sleep a night to keep the laughter lines at bay. As for the compulsion to view the chat here, well I can’t help there, as I suffer from that malady too. [/size][/font]
    [font=Garamond][size=3]What’s that got to do with easel colour you may ask; nothing absolutely nothing?[/size][/font]
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin