Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,498   Online: 854

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

LPL Enlarger + Fine Focusing = Long Reach - Creative Solutions?

While making some large prints, I became a bit aggravated with how far it is to reach the fine focus controls on my LPL enlarger. I can do it, but it is just a matter of time before I injure myself!

I noticed this accessory:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

but, at over $100, I am just not quite that inconvenienced yet to lay out this much cash. I'd rather buy more paper.

I think I could almost engineer my own solution, but was wondering if anyone else has a creative idea for solving the problem of needing "monkey arms" to focus this enlarger when making big prints.

Thanks for any responses...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The imaging warehouse in the UK supply a useful device called The Hocus Focus that allows you to focus without having to put your eye close to the screen. You can reach up to the fine focus knob on the enlarger and still look at the screen on the Hocus Focus. It's only about 15 pounds UK. The company are also known as Nova
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the focusing extension and have found it to be a very necessary and worthwhile addition.

If you want to engineer your own solution, I might suggest removing the enlarger focusing knob from the shaft and then using a rod coupling (should be available at a hardware store to couple a piece of flex cable to the enlarger focusing shaft. A knob on the end of the flex cable (also available at a hardware store) should finishe the job.

I have seen the Hocus Focus and personally don't think that it provides as precise focusing as my Peak instrument. However others may find it adequate to their purposes.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the focus extender for my LPL. The cost was worth being able to focus without problems.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paterson Major focus finder? You don't need to stoop over so much.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    While making some large prints, I became a bit aggravated with how far it is to reach the fine focus controls on my LPL enlarger. I can do it, but it is just a matter of time before I injure myself!

I noticed this accessory:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

but, at over $100, I am just not quite that inconvenienced yet to lay out this much cash. I'd rather buy more paper.

I think I could almost engineer my own solution, but was wondering if anyone else has a creative idea for solving the problem of needing "monkey arms" to focus this enlarger when making big prints.

Thanks for any responses...
    Buy it. It's worth the money.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the similar device that's made for a Beseler 45 and while I wouldn't want to be without it, I find that very fine adjustment are not as easy as with using the fixed knob. There is a tendency for it to cause little "pops" of adjustments that exceed what I want. Think of it as torque in the flex cable lagging then releasing. Maybe something needs to be lubricated, I'm not certain if that would help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is also the Magna-Sight focusing device. This focuser does not force you to put your head down near the easel, you can stand up straight. It also allows you to focus on any portion of the image not just the center. This works quite well and will prevent you from becoming the Hunchback of Notre Darkroom. I use one with my Saunders LPL 6700.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Patterson fine grain focusing aid about 14 inches tall that helps for big enlargements. When it won't reach, a Mitchell Unicolor will, although it has lower magnification like the Magna-Sight.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    would'nt it be possible to add some strap around the know just like opening/closing curtains....
    I have the same problems with my LPL 4x5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin