Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,874   Online: 986

Shooter
    Large Format

Heads up 35 mm shooters

For 35 mm photogs....three of these lenses are up on Ebay now. Very rare...I have not seen them before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Betavaron-Zoom-E...QQcmdZViewItem
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    It is a zoom enlarging lens. It was quite expensive when being made.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    It is a zoom enlarging lens. It was quite expensive when being made.

Claire, Yes, I think that you mentioned this awhile back. Kreonite has a plant in Wichita and this apparently came from their stock.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm looking into setting up a bathroom darkroom (my first) for 35mm. Would something like this be a way premature purchase? Worth getting? Only compatible with certain enlargers? I haven't really looked into prices of used enlargers, lenses, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most enlarging lenses have fixed focal lengths, with different focal lengths for different negative sizes -- 50mm for 35mm film, 75mm or 80mm for 6x6, etc. You can find an excellent 6-element lens used for $50 or less on eBay, although prices for new lenses are substantially higher ($140-$160 for a 50mm f/2.8 Nikon el-Nikkor at B&H, for instance). Most enlargers that are available on eBay these days also come with lenses, although many of these are cheap 4-element lenses. Such lenses often sell for under $100 new, but aren't much less than 6-element lenses used.

I've never used one, but my understanding is that zoom enlarging lenses are used mainly as cropping aids or to adjust paper size without raising or lowering the head. This makes them convenience items, not necessities. I have no experience with the lens in the auction linked to earlier, so I can't comment on its quality or usability. I can say that, although I wouldn't turn one down if somebody gave one to me, I'm not willing to spend $165 for that convenience, particularly not when I don't know how the final print's image quality would compare to what I get now with my 6-element Nikon el-Nikkor f/2.8 or even my 5-element Vega-11U f/2.8.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I'm looking into setting up a bathroom darkroom (my first) for 35mm. Would something like this be a way premature purchase? Worth getting? Only compatible with certain enlargers? I haven't really looked into prices of used enlargers, lenses, etc.
    Considering the low cost of top quality used traditional enlarging lenses from Nikon, Schneider, and others, why spend more money on something that few people really need? Enlargers often come with decent lenses. If you get one without a lens, then shop for the lens. Most modern enlargers and enlarging lenses use the 39mm Leica thread mount. Some old enlargers used different lens mounts, and these enlargers and lenses are less versatile.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that one of these lenses used with a 35mm camera and bellows would make a very nice macro setup.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    When I run the Noritsu 601 daylight enlarger I think it has a version of such lens with motorized zoom. It's neat for such a machine but for a conventional enlarger I don't think it's of much convienient.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sounds good. I'll stick with a conventional lens. Just to note, the same ebay seller is selling the same lens new without a box for $125.

If it was something that was nice and convenient, I really wouldn't have minded spending an extra $60-70 over the conventional picks. Crap, compared to how much is spent on everything else in this hobby, it's a drop in the bucket.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a little bit suspicious of anything 'zoom' and I certainly have never used one for enlarging. If I were starting from scratch I would buy the el Nikkor 50mm that I use now and stick with other el Nikkor primes. Why use something more complicated than necessary, that's always been my paradigm. A little unadventurous perhaps, but it's certainly served me well so far.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin