Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,647   Online: 1136

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images

VC filter deterioration

I heard that vc filters deteriate over the years. Is this true? If so, how often should they be replaced? Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Take it for truth or outright lie, but I have seen something to the effect that you should change the filters every 2-5 years, depending on how much you use them and how they are stored. I can't remember where I read this - so take it with a large grain of salt, please.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Take it for truth or outright lie, but I have seen something to the effect that you should change the filters every 2-5 years, depending on how much you use them and how they are stored. I can't remember where I read this - so take it with a large grain of salt, please.
    I have also come across differnt time frames, 5 to 10 years, I use a set of Dupont filters that I have owned for 35 years, to date I have not notice any problems.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had my current sets of above and beneath the lens Ilford filters for about ten years and I can't say that I've noticed any deterioration, though I suppose like all colour materials they're almost bound to fade eventually. Best thing to do is to keep the out of the light, which I presume you do except when in use.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Looking at the logic, whether or not the color changes. Filters are a very soft plastic that pick up dust and scratches over time even when stored and used carefully. We will demand that a lens be perfect without cleaning mark, fungus or dust. Perhaps not too far a stretch, the windshield on your car does not transmit the same quality image after 100,000 miles or so. Mine is covered with stone chips and crazing. Little scratches and dirt accumulate and will degrade your image. Relative to the cost of all the other photographic pieces we have, a new set of filters every so often may be a good cost effective investment.

John Powers

If they are out of the focus path, scratches do not mater.

When the 1/2 the exposure time one grade higher and 1/2 the exposure time one grade lower do not substantially give the same contrast as the middle grade, they are faded. 1/2 time with #3 and #1 should give the same result as #2.

Overall slow fading may occure even without use. If you can not high or low grades, replace them.

Anothe clue might be if no filter and #2 do not get the same contrast. Crossing brands will probably negate this test.

I have never experienced any fading.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Didn't Simon Galley announce a promo recently where a box of 100 sheets of MGIV 8x10" will come with a new set of filters? I don't know if that's on now, if it's just passed, or if it's coming up.

One issue is that some of the old filter sets didn't have ND filtration built in like the current Ilford MG filters, so the exposure changed with the filter. With the current filters, the exposure stays constant for grades 00-3.5 and you add one stop for 4-5.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle has this:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...pid=1000002049

It's a 50 sheet box of Pearl RC, but includes the filters. Just the filters alone are only around 5 cents less. A great value.

Glossy here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...pid=1000002048

Marco
    Last edited by Marco S.; 10-20-2006 at 09:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin