Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,557   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So I got a Beseler 4x5, some questions

A couple weeks ago, I mentioned about picking up a 4x5 Beseler cheap. So I did. I managed to get it with 35mm, 66, 69, and slide neg holders. I also got a Nikon 105mm lens as well as an old Schneider 50mm lens. It came with an Arista Cold light head. Motor works good.
    My questions:
    1. Can I get light bulb sources for the Arista Cold light? It didn't come with with a voltage regulator, do I need one? My 23cII Arista cold light came with a voltage regulator and looks like a proprietary plug.
    2. This particular model came with a sliding filter holder and it slides on top of the lens, clever. BUT, my Componon 80mm lens sticks inside the bellows about an 1" and now, I won't be able to put a filter when using an 80mm lens. Do I have any options?
    3. How do I level the lens? There are screws on my 23cII that I can move the lens back and forth and side to side to get it level.
    4. I have neg holders that have 4 pins on it. Are the 4x5 holders with the circular ring inside will work with this enlarger?

TIA!

Images
    Which coldlight tube did you get? There are white ones, W45 and W55, and a greenish looking one that is the V54. The latter is the tube to have, but the others will work fine too, but may need some different filtration for VC.

You don't need a voltage regulator. There should be two cords, one for the light and then a grounded one that says thermo on a paper tag. The thermo runs a heater inside the lamp house that attempts to maintain the coldlight's temperature and thus the light output. It works...kinda. Better to have a closed loop controller/timer of some kind, be it MetroLux or other. If you are printing 35mm and 6 by X, then you may want to use a condenser. Did you get a condenser? For 35mm, they are probably the way to go. For 6by, it's breakeven and for 45, I prefer coldlight, altho there are issues with this small coldlight being even.

That 105mm lens is a keeper.

Good luck.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    There should be a swing-away filter holder that can hold filters below the lens. If not, you can get one to fit.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    There should be a swing-away filter holder that can hold filters below the lens. If not, you can get one to fit.

Jon
    Thanks. Looks like user error. I can slide it now, I just had to wiggle it a little bit. Now to see about blubs for this thing. Its working right now, not sure if it is dim or its the way it is. Freaking thing was heavy!
    I think the Nikon 105mm costs as much as I got the whole thing for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel View Post
    You don't need a voltage regulator. There should be two cords, one for the light and then a grounded one that says thermo on a paper tag. The thermo runs a heater inside the lamp house that attempts to maintain the coldlight's temperature and thus the light output. It works...kinda.
    Loose,
    Thanks. I noticed that the heater element was warm later on in the day. Does it stay on all the time when plugged in? I unplugged it. Or should I just keep it plugged in all the time?
    Also, does the heater element help with the intensity of the light?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The heater does stay on, so just plug it in 20 minutes before you want to print. Also, with the ones at school, I used to turn the cold light bulb on for 10-15 minutes to help warm it up. The heater helps stabilize the light output.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to hijack the thread but I'm going to be changing the lamp in my Aristo/Zone VI head. Is there much difficulty in performing this operation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but I'm going to be changing the lamp in my Aristo/Zone VI head. Is there much difficulty in performing this operation?
    That is a good question. Did you purchase yours already? If so, where? I'd like to know this answer as well. I don't know how old this head is but in case I need to replace the bulb inside, I'd like to know how.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    That is a good question. Did you purchase yours already? If so, where? I'd like to know this answer as well. I don't know how old this head is but in case I need to replace the bulb inside, I'd like to know how.

I have not purchased it. I plan to order it from B&H Photo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ku=2590&is=REG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yowzaa! That costs more than the what I paid for the enlarger/lenses/carriers. Dang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin