Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 784

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beseler 45M Series--What Came Out When?

I'm assuming that the first enlarger in this series was the 45M, and of course the last is the 45MXT. Does anyone know the order in which the other ones came out? It would help to determine relative age in eBay auctions. And if you know the year a model was introduced or what new features were on it, that would be valuable too. As I understand it, the things that are new on the 45MXT are the straight lower bellows, which makes lens alignment easier and also permits the use of a turret (supposedly the "t" in 45MXT stands for "turret"), and a neoprene seal which is supposed to help prevent light leaks from the negative stage. Was the model before it the 45MXII? I have seen those for sale used fairly often.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why not call Beseler and ask?
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    Why not call Beseler and ask?
    It might be worth trying, but I'm not having much luck getting answers to questions by email. I just thought that some people who have been using Beselers for a while might remember approximately what order the models came out in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    M stands for motorized, and X refers to the frame. The T refers to the head mounting. The earliest 45's had the frame adjustment bars facing forward. This got in the way of moving the easel about, and they were shifted backward. On these models, a swivel bar also allowed the enlarger to swing 90 degrees horizontal for really large projections. Yes, the models up to the T have the tapered bellows and a filter drawer. They were originally introduced in the early 1950s. You will also note that the older models are a turquoise color. All went to black in later production models, IIRC in the mid 1970s. There was a change also on how the lens and negative stage was held in alignment to the track bar. The older ones used brass shims along the back, whilst the newer models use a plastic/teflon shim.

Although the tapered models are still great enlargers (I have both), the later model with the square bellows is a better long term investment, mainly because of potential bellows problems as the enlargers age.
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 10-25-2006 at 10:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a good question!
    I recently bought a 45M and was wondering the same thing.
    I emailed Beseler too, and they have yet to reply back to me as well....

The inside of the bellows on mine are red. Does that indicate any thing as far as when it was manufactured?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A little clarification. It is impossible to date production runs based on the "letter " designation. Every Beseler 4x5 enlarger that is not in the V series and has been produced since their introduction in 1953 is a 45MX. The square bellows is in the late 1970s forward. There is little else except the logo stickers that varies onward in the production scheme.
    Patrick

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the blue version come from the 70's, not exactly sure about the date, but it was an anniversity issues. they did the same thing with the 23c's
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian View Post
    That's a good question!
    I recently bought a 45M and was wondering the same thing.
    I emailed Beseler too, and they have yet to reply back to me as well....
    I asked them in a different email how they expected us to mask the glass negative carrier for different formats, since they don't make anything for that purpose, and they sent me back just the part numbers for the two glass carriers. I guess I've been spoiled by Schneider, with all that wonderful information on their website even about obsolete lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    the blue version come from the 70's, not exactly sure about the date, but it was an anniversity issues. they did the same thing with the 23c's
    It would have been a 20th anniversary issue, around 73 or 74. All of the original 50's production models were turquoise blue...
    Patrick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin