Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,498   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help with enlarger light distribution

Some replies to my post on the selenium intensified neg have suggested that I have a 'cold spot' in the corners of my enlarger. I have looked at this and find something akin to vignetting on the top corners (see attached-phonecams do have a use !) I use an 80mm lens (Nikor) so do not believe this to be a problem and have taken the condensor out, cleaned it, tried it upside down etc. to see if something is amis but no improvement. Given that the Axomat is a very simple enlarger the only other possibility is the bulb which is in it. It's probably a small globe household bulb.
    Any ideas PLEASE ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00032.JPG  
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah... just as I thought. Is this projected through your negative carrier? Is there a way to adjust the condenser Chris?

B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Ah... just as I thought. Is this projected through your negative carrier? Is there a way to adjust the condenser Chris?

B.
    Yes through the carrier (It's the same without). As far as I can tell the condensor is just one big lens (about 2" deep in a steel case) I thought perhaps one way up for 35mm one way for 120 but that didn't work-I have also tried a different condensor from a beat up Axomat from college , same result.

Maybe I'm going to have to live with this until my printing is good enough to persuade my dearest that a nice s/h De Vere is really more important than a new stair carpet

Cheers for any advice - and your time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it vignetting in the other two corners as well? If it is not, you may be able to find a way to move the lens/enlarger center in relation to the baseboard.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Could be the bulb itself. Get one that's made for enlargers. There are two different kinds, depending on how the bulb is placed in the enlarger (vertical or horisontal). The light is directed in different ways depending on how it sits. And check to get the right wattage, too. Sometimes the bulb socket can be shifted (my Durst works that way) so it is centered.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It could be the bulb... If the bulb is in the wrong position and/or the wrong size, this is exactly what you would get. I've tested a lot of bulbs to find a viable alternative in my L138S - no success so far. But I do have one bulv which I'm keeping for negatives shot with far too wide lenses with lots and lots of light falloff...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    It could be the bulb... If the bulb is in the wrong position and/or the wrong size, this is exactly what you would get. I've tested a lot of bulbs to find a viable alternative in my L138S - no success so far. But I do have one bulv which I'm keeping for negatives shot with far too wide lenses with lots and lots of light falloff...
    I would defer my advice to Ole's. I believe his advice is more on target.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I would defer my advice to Ole's. I believe his advice is more on target.
    I've tried every way to get the head to move relative to the bulb and v/v but no luck so I suspect a new bulb is my next step- shame I'd got the sob story all ready "and I may as well get an enlarger that will do 4 x 5 in case I get into that" followed by "Now I've got a 4x5 enlarger I may as well get an LF camera dear"

Mind you the bulb is probably cheaper.

Thanks to all who have replied, this really is a fantastic place

Cheers CJB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did a quick check on-line and found the previous posts might have nailed down your problem.
    Your problem could lay in a misaligned condenser or lamp.And make sure you have the correct bulb for your specific enlarger.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone know the right lamp for a Meopta Opemus 5A ? No luck so far in my searches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin