Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,693   Online: 847

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Newbie needs help selecting an Enlarger Timer

Hi,

I'm beginning to accumulate my darkroom equipment . So far I've got :
    1) 50mm lens: Leitz Focotar f/4.5
    2) Enlarger: LPL 670XL VCCE - on backorder...hopefully it will arrive within the month. Thanks to this forum, I've managed to pick one without having to post a condenser vs diffusion vs cold light head thread.

Now, I'm looking for a good enlarger timer that is compatible with the 670XL VCCE. My choices are:
    1) StopClock Pro (do I need the paperflasher as well?) - I have read a lot of good reviews about this. Is it sort of an overkill for a hobbyist?
    2) LPL ET-500 - this doesn't come with a footswitch (I think) and less features than the StopClock. I don't know what exchange rate is now - if the price difference with the StopClock less than $150 USD - I might go for the StopClock...
    3) Paterson 2000D - least expensive digital enlarger time that I've found so far.

Which should I go for or are there other (better choices)? I would like to work with something that would save me from a lot of headaches...

Appreciate all the help I can get...

Best Regards,
    annie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use the Paterson 2000D with an LPL C7700 enlarger (I think that's virtually the same enlarger as yours) and it works fine. It is simple to use.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I use the LPL ET-500 and like it a lot. I just got the foot switch and it is great to use.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by retrocam View Post
    Which should I go for or are there other (better choices)? I would like to work with something that would save me from a lot of headaches...
    Three answers, three recommendations (surprise, surprise). The Stopclock is excellent too -- my wife Frances Schultz and I have been using one for years, sometimes quite hard (we do books and magazine articles on photography as well as our website www.rogerandfrances.com).

What this means, with any luck, is that they're ALL good.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This will save you a lot of headaches:

an extension cord with an inline switch + a metronome

If you'd like to try it, get a digital metronome with adjustable BPM. Makes it simple for factoring in drydown and stuff like that!

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have one but I think the stop clock is the good choice. Otherwise, I would either roll my own or get the metronome. Right now I am using a Gralab 505 but that's because it came with the enlarger. I print only color so the stop clock doesn't suit my technique well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas View Post
    [...]get a digital metronome with adjustable BPM. Makes it simple for factoring in drydown and stuff like that!
    I agree about a metronome. That's what I use. I'm curious, though, why does a metronome have to be digital to have adjustable beats per minute? I thought all metronome down to the old style wooden ones with the swinging arm and weight were adjustable. If they weren't, they'd be pretty useless, wouldn't they?

Maybe I misunderstand.

FWIW, there's an article out at Michaelandpaula.com about the benefits of using a metronome.

Shooter
    35mm
    They are all adjustable but the adjustment on the swing arm style is not precise. Basically you slide a weigh up and down on the swing arm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Annie,

Purchase one you can set by feel in the dark. Ones with knobs fore tens of seconds and seconds that can be set by feeling the steps as you turn them are quite handy in a pinch. Omega and Gralab make nice models.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To see if your basic, good old metronome is working right, put the weight on 60 beats per minute.
    See if it takes 1 minute to do 60 beats. Umm, pretty simple huh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin