Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,059   Posts: 1,611,235   Online: 941

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I print two sizes, on 8X10 paper, 7X7 and on 11X14, 10X10. Print washer and easel are at the limit on 11X14. My D2V can make bigger prints, I have a MF 6X6 with Zeiss lenses, but I don't want to. My photographs look really nice at these sizes.

Shooter
    35mm
    61/2x93/4 mounted on 11x14 boards is by far the most common size for me to print.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I limit the 35mm stuff to 11x14, with most going at 8x10.
    Those are mostly Kodachrome 64 and 25.
    From the 6x7 cm stuff of my Pentax 67, I go up to 20x24.
    Those are mostly Fujichromes.
    For the 20x24's I use the APO Rodagon lens.
    DT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    For 4" x 5" I generally print to 24" x 30", have printed to 30" X 37.5"; most of these images would be sharp enough to print to 40" x 50".

Rich
    Gee Rich. I guess I am going to have to up my print sizes. I generally do all my first prints these days at 20x24... :o I have printed to 30x40 however.

Back in the days I did my own printing, I normally printed both B&W and Ilfochrome at 11x14. I always hated, and still do, 8x10 prints.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Gee Rich. I guess I am going to have to up my print sizes. I generally do all my first prints these days at 20x24... :o I have printed to 30x40 however.

Back in the days I did my own printing, I normally printed both B&W and Ilfochrome at 11x14. I always hated, and still do, 8x10 prints.
    Hi Robert,

I also print my 4 X 5 images to 19" x 24". But in the exhibits, the 24" x 30" prints just have so much more presence. This is particularly true when the color and tonality of the transparency/scan are very good. In an effort to keep printing on the Chromira as much as possible and to avoid a huge increases in price for the buyer, I print to 30" (paper roll length) so we get a 30" x 37.5" from a 4X5. To get a 30" x 40" print you would either have to stretch the image or crop it. If we wished, we could however print a 32" x 40" print off the LightJet, but the buyer would incur a substantial price increase (we are contracted to print on the LightJet with Nancy Scans, while the Bill Nordstrom's [Laser Light Photographics] Chromira is in house). The mix of the exhibit with the two 30" x 37.5" images is quite something. And the larger images even make the 24" X 30" images look relatively small.

As to those larger 30" x 37.5" images they just have so much impact when sharp with excellent tonality. And when presented behind the horribly expensive Museum Glass (17x the cost of regular picture framing glass) the images are extraordinary.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Due to public perception and the fact that I've yet to evolve business/marketingwise to the place where I can sell 5x7 or 8x10s for a couple of thousand dollars, I print most of my prints at 20x24 and charge accordingly.

I look forward to the day I devise a marketing plan to sell 4x5 prints for $5000each.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    I look forward to the day I devise a marketing plan to sell 4x5 prints for $5000each.
    Make them cry.

Oh, wait a minute, that's been done already.

Good luck.

Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    I try to limit enlargements to 3x, but sometimes for 35mm I'll go up to 5x. Seldom do I print larger than 11x14, regardless of the format.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm pretty comfortable with 8x10 and 11x14.

At the last arts festival I was in, I also noticed the trend from other photographers to display very large prints, framed, for no apparent reason other than to take up wall space in their booths. I also had one customer make a comment: "I like your stuff, it would be great if it were bigger." I didn't bother to explain he was looking at 4x5 image transfers.

Most of my framed pprints are of 8x10 enlargements, often with wide matts for a larger finished piece. Murray was commenting about how people will come in for a closer inspection of smaller images, move to a larger one then step back again - I've noticed the same thing. I like the feeling of having my stuff actually inspected in this way, especially hand colored work - it can lead to great conversations if not an actual sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't go above 8X10 with a 1/8" border very often. Once in a while to 11X14, very few at 16X20. I don't care for the results of 35mm to 8X10, and usually use medium format for 8X10. 4X5 negs can stand up to 16X20 and still be breathtaking. I did do a 16X20 from my Rolleiflex for some friends and the results were good.

I have been printing smaller lately. 4X5 and 4X6 from 35 and I like the results. (I won a 1000' roll of ilford rapid RC VC from ebay for cheap, so I cut a bunch up for 4X5 and 4X6)
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin