Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 646

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black Borders

Shooter
    35mm
    HCB primarily used a 50mm lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by slad View Post
    HCB primarily used a 50mm lens.
    Yeah, but only primarily. The 'only 50mm' purism (which I freely admit you do not promote) was a lie put about by his more extremist admirers.

And after talking with his printer at Arles one year, 'perfect exposure' and 'no cropping' were two more lies. Not his, but those of his worshippers.

The guy was a genius, but he wasn't God. He also had a very successful family business to support him in his youth.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think filing negative carriers is something that one regrets sometime later, like getting a tattoo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    I think filing negative carriers is something that one regrets sometime later, like getting a tattoo.
    I agree. I could never bring myself to do that.

Other ways:
    Cut a piece of board a couple of mm - or however wide you want the border - longer and wider than the exact size of your print, black if possible including the cut edges (blacken them with felt pen). Expose your print in the easel. Lay the board on top. Open the easel a couple of milimetres all round. Align the board top and left with easel, so that there's a newly exposed bit of paper to the right and bottom. Expose to full black. Move the card to the right and bottom and repeat, thus exposing top and left of print. You can also leave the card in the middle but I find that less reliable. Use weights to keep the card flat and stable.
    This works for crops aswell, you don't need the whole neg.

Or get a glass neg carrier -e.g. for 6x7 and use that, you can then get the whole rebate if you want, which is fun sometimes.

Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    Its the first thing I do when I get a new one. You can always raise your enlarger to go past the easel blades.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    hcb also liked to show that he did not crop his negs, a bit of a wank but it is good practice to crop in camera not on the neg
    Problem there is that it forces you to crop to the camera format rather than the subject. If I am shooting 35mm and my subject matter composes better to a 3:4 or square or some other completely random aspect ratio, I don't hesitate use the bands of my easle. Better to let the best composition ask for the best dimensions than to try to "wank" it into a standard predetermined format.
    (Even if it means that you you have to custom cut your mats for each print. What a pita!)
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    some enlargers have available full format negative carriers which allow the rebate to show.

i know that besler does.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I tailor format to composition, if I want a black boarder I use a mask.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on format and i don't know if this relates to 35mm but it could be that HCB also used Leitz enlargers. The Leitz Focomat 1C negative carrier will give you that black edge.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    who says you can only have one carrier?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin