Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,588   Posts: 1,622,251   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black Borders

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Black Borders

I really like the look of the black borders that HCB uses on his prints. Did he--or his printers--achieve this by filing the negative carrier so light passes around the edges of the negative? This seems the most likely method as they seem somewhat irregular and have rounded corners. What other methods are there for getting this effect? Thanks.

Jmal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day jmal, i too like the black border and often print this way, and yes it is usually done by filing out the neg carrier on 35mm, there are other ways to do it using easels and masks

hcb also liked to show that he did not crop his negs, a bit of a wank but it is good practice to crop in camera not on the neg

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the reply. I suspected that was the way it's done, but just wanted to confirm. Any tips for filing or is it just small steps of trial and error until one reaches a satisfactory amount of border?

Jmal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    g
    hcb also liked to show that he did not crop his negs, a bit of a wank but it is good practice to crop in camera not on the neg
    Ray,
    For those us here in the colonies, what does "bit of a wank" mean? I don't like to crop on the neg either. I try to approximate the 10% loss of some viewfinders. With HCB, he must've known that Leica viewfinder intimately to approximate what will be printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh I don't think it was a wank, really. At the time, people were already becoming rather pictorialist and I think he simply wanted to be faithful to his subjects. I appreciate HCB's staid traditionalism more and more now that I see what digital capture has done to photography!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Ray,
    For those us here in the colonies, what does "bit of a wank" mean? I don't like to crop on the neg either. I try to approximate the 10% loss of some viewfinders. With HCB, he must've known that Leica viewfinder intimately to approximate what will be printed.

what wankers do

an allusion to a sexual act performed when alone

being self dillusional, or maybe just being a braggard

constant use of any camera will soon show just what is recorded on film, it's not always 10%

some cameras record more than shows in viewfinder, some record less

anyway it's not good practice to compose too close to the image edges

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Oh I don't think it was a wank, really. At the time, people were already becoming rather pictorialist and I think he simply wanted to be faithful to his subjects. I appreciate HCB's staid traditionalism more and more now that I see what digital capture has done to photography!
    g'day keith, so what do you believe digital capture has done to photography?

i see extremes, on the one hand more people are empowered and encouraged to do photography - that could be a good, or a bad thing

on the other hand, more and more bad imaging is accepted as the norm - even that could be good or bad

lastly, for now, many talented photographers are too narrow minded to explore the possibilities that digital could bring to their practice

just because an image is digi doesn't mean it's a poor image, just as gum over pt/pd etc etc doesn't automatically make an image good

what are your thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who is HCB?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
    Who is HCB?
    wash out thy mouth

Henri Cartier Bresson, French, (1908-2004) photojournalist, documentary photographer, co-founder of Magnum, 'the desicive moment', 'the' street photographer, the revered one, think Leica, think street, think one lens (35mm?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh...

Thanks Ray.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin