Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,040   Online: 923

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Enlarging lens for 35mm + 5"x7"

I have problem with printing 5 x 7 size with my focotar 40mm lens, because the distance from lens to paper is too short. When I open the easel mask I hit the lens.

So I want to purchase longer focal lenth lens, but I can't see what is right length. I know my Focomat V35 will no longer auto focus, but that is OK.

Would 80mm too long? (I can borrow one infinitely from a friend who doesn't use it.)

I have seen 60mm Schneider or Rodenstock lens, will these be fine in terms of distance? Especially, the cheaper Rogonar-S will be fine for 5x7? (for distance and quality).

TIA,
    Ernie

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use an 80mm Rodenstock Rodagon to enlarge 35mm all the time on a Saunders 4500. It gives me more room under the lens to dodge and burn. I dont know if it will focus with the V35. Borrow one and try it.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long are your bellows? You could do the math to see if you have enough bellows to focus a longer lens at that magnification.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflydream View Post
    I have problem with printing 5 x 7 size with my focotar 40mm lens, because the distance from lens to paper is too short. When I open the easel mask I hit the lens.

So I want to purchase longer focal lenth lens, but I can't see what is right length. I know my Focomat V35 will no longer auto focus, but that is OK.

Would 80mm too long? (I can borrow one infinitely from a friend who doesn't use it.)

I have seen 60mm Schneider or Rodenstock lens, will these be fine in terms of distance? Especially, the cheaper Rogonar-S will be fine for 5x7? (for distance and quality).

TIA,
    Ernie
    I have used a 52mm Wallensack for years, a few weeks ago a found a 60 mm Schneider at a local camera shop, I now use it for all of my 35 mm up to
    11X14, excellent lens and will work with 6X6 as well although I will most likely use the 60mm for working prints and will use my 105 most for final prints from 6X6.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Certainly borrow the 80mm for a trial. Practical testing is better than theoretical predictions. In some enlargers the condensers are set up for a particular length of lens. This may affect the performance of the 80mm. Most enlarging lenses suffice for 5 x 7 prints. If the 80mm gives even illumination, but inadequate sharpness, you can shop for a top quality 75 or 80mm lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Focomat v35 doesn't have bellows. It focuses with helicoid, thus the adjustable distance may be rather short...

But I can try it in a few days.

Thanks for replies!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used 39mm extension tubes to accomodate different enlarging lenses on some enlargers.

Shooter
    35mm
    The V35 will accomodate a 50mm lens. I do not know about a 60mm lens.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin