Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,644   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have both an ancient DeJur 4x5 and a much newer 6x6 Beselar C700 set up in the darkroom. Both are equipped with good Nikkor lenses. The 6x6 rarely gets used, even though it is more convenient for smaller negatives. Unless you find an irrestible deal on a 6x9, a versatile 4x5 sounds best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recommend a 4X5 as well. I print 35 1/2 frame, 35, 4X4, 6X6, 6X9 and 4X5 with my D 3, and I can print up to 16X20 from 6X9 with the D3 and a 105mm lens. The footprint is about the same as 6X9. The prices for 4X5 are rock bottom.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Thanks and views on a Durst 805?

Thanks to everyone for their consider opinion. Looks like the consensus is that I should look at a 4x5 enlarger. The De Vere that I mentioned had been sold when I e-mailed the company but I've spotted a B&W Durst 805 going for a reasonable price with six month warranty. Does anyone have any experience of this enlarger?

Thanks

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have any experience with the Durst 805, although I've used many other Durst's and found them to be very good, and very well built enlarglers.
    If it is good operating condtition, with all of its' accessories, it would likely be a good bet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The durst 805 is a Very good Enlarger, will do up to 6x9, and has two heads avaliable for it. If you are buying it make sure you get a full set of Carrier inserts and at least the 35mm & 6x9 light boxes for the colour head or the full condenser set for the B&W head. You will need a Recessed Lense board for a 50mm lens also. All accessory's for a Durst are $$$ and are hard to find used.

A replacement Carrier Bought new !!! could cost as much as a Whole Enlarger Used. Just keep this in mind - When I bought my L1200 I got very Lucky It belonged to a Govenment Dept, It was ordered with just about Everything made for it, 2 heads, a Wall mount Kit!! and a Set of Rodagon Lenses !!! The Enlarger is in Like New condition and I take great care of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are substantial differences in the size of enlargers. I have an old Durst L1000 and a floor standing DeVere 504. The L1000 is not a lot bigger than my Durst Mod70 but substantially more solid and a lot heavier. The DeVere is a different beast altogether. You need around 8' in height for the floor standing model plus its column is also bolted to the wall.
    The one difference between Durst and DeVere is that parts and service are available both new and used for the DeVere whilst I find it very hard to source Durst parts. The UK supplier (Northern Photographic) for Durst enlarger spares now has very little in stock compared to a couple of years ago.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Final Decision!

Thanks to your feedback I decided to go for a De Vere 504 so I get the full 4x5 benefits and the build quality and parts availability. I've ordered a MkV Dichromat bench enlarger with 35, 6x7, 6x9 and 4x5 holders from Secondhand Darkroom and will pick it up next Tuesday. The dimensions they've given me suggest that it will fit in my cellar darkroom, the main concern being height. The enlarger's 54 inches high but fortunately I have a brick and stone shelf quite low to the floor that appears to be deep enough to fit the base board and gives me enough clearance to the joists above. It means kneeling to use the enlarger but I'm in the same position with my 6x6 at the moment!

I'll report back on how I get on with this new tool once I've got it installed and working.

Thanks for all the help.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwakel View Post
    ...It means kneeling to use the enlarger but I'm in the same position with my 6x6 at the moment!
    Barry
    Consider building a support to raise the easel. With the higher column, you may still have enough distance to get the image size you need. This will allow you to avoid the kneeling - unless you are praying to the gods of black and white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is not unknown for people to cut a rectangle out of their ceiling board to accommodate the enlarger column between the joists of the floor above. In that case, it's probably best to box in the hole to avoid dust...

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Got it

Picked up the De Vere 504 today from the very helpful Peter at Secondhand Darkroom Supplies.

It's a beauty. Makes my old enlarger look a bit puny! I just about managed to man-handle it down the narrow steps and through the low door into my cellar and it fits nicely onto the brick shelf without any need for joist-surgery as suggested by Bob!

I've got the RH Designs Analyser Pro connected up to it and things are ready to go when I get a bit more time later in the week.

Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin