Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,785   Online: 873

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just saw THIS for sale in Sweden. Quite cheap if wouldn't need a new house :-)
    /matti

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Take a look at a Durst 184 (ten feet tall) and the 138S will seem light, compact and desirable. It is all a matter of perspective. By the way a Durst 45EM is the same machine by a different marketing name if you should see one of those for sale. I drove two 138Ss four hours back from Detroit to Cleveland in the back of a Toyota Highlander SUV if that helps gauge size.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more question about the 138, while I'm at it: I suppose it is still possible to use it to enlarge my 35 mm negs to, say 8x10? I wouldn't need to keep my smaller fanless enlarger for that? Or is the big one only good for large stuff?
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I havn't used mine for 35mm, but I have done 6x6. Works fine. The only thing I'm not sure of is if a 50mm will focus? Mine came with a latub, maybe for a reason?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't tried 35mm either, but I have a 35mm negative carrier and a Latub too... It just happens that I also have a 6x6 enlarger set up, so I only use the L138S for 6x7 and up.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would think that if one has the proper condenser set up you could print from 35mm negs with some ease. That said, I think a smaller enlarger might be the way to go.

lee\c

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    I just saw THIS for sale in Sweden. Quite cheap if wouldn't need a new house :-)
    /matti
    WOW!! It might cost more than a new house. Some spouses might consider that grounds for divorce. I don't know your marital status, but it certainly is worth a conversation if there is a spouse.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not a problem printing 35mm on the 138 but make sure that you have the right condensers (130 over an 85), recessed lens board (LATUB) and inserts for the negative carrier. The NEGA 138 carrier should have either a LAPFE 35 insert for 35mm film or the Ladane 138 or 72 insert for 35- 70mm film. Also check the lamp to make sure it works. If it is a large OPAL bulb - they are becoming harder to find to replace the original. As for height - I have the head spaced to rise into the joists in the basement to give me the height I need.

Regards
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I did buy this.
    So now I just need an LF camera to go with it! Now if I sell that filmscanner...

If I need two enlargers to be able to do 35mm I would need to get something smaller than my Durst M80 to go with the big one. In the picture it looks like something there might be a recessed lens board.

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My earlier comments referred to a B&W condenser Durst 138. The one in the picture is has a colour head so I am not sure what you need to change film sizes. It has a good selection of lens boards and some ofthe LAPFE neg carrier inserts. Looks like a good deal if my currency conversion is right. Good luck getting it into your darkroom - it should still break down into three pieces.

Regrads
    Gord

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That looks very good to me to. I notice there are several mixing chambers, so you don't lose too much light when enlarging 35mm even if there is no 35mm mixing chamber. Good buy - and you don't have to hunt world wide for condensers (one of mine camer from Germany, five from Australia).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin