Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 801

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all,
    I talked to the seller today and he said that it was complete from 35mm to 5x7 (except for lenses then).

Ole, now I am revealing what a neophyte I am, but, condensers? Is it possible to change from diffusion to condensers in the same enlarger?

Concerning focal length and negative size, is there a reason except for exposure time and ultimate size to not use, say an 80 mm lens for 35 mm? Today I sometimes feel a bit cramped when doing small enlargements with my 50 mm lens. I guess it might even feel a bit ridiculous on this new beast. :-)

/matti

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Matti, my 138S has a condenser head. Since colour heads alone tend to cost more than a complete enlarger, I haven't converted it to colour yet. Maybe I never will - I like it as it is.

Come to think of it. I have a colour head - the small old one, can't remember the name. But I don't have a power supply for it. If I should happen to find one, it's a five minute job to convert the beast!

As to lenses - the last few days I've been printing 35mm negs full-frame on 9.5x12" paper. I use a 80mm lens to get some working distance for burn & dodge...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've recieved a call Sunday from a guy who wants to offer me one for free (a laborator 138) !!!!!! I haven't seen it yet, but the guy doesn't live far from here and it sure is worth checking. He has no lenses, I don't know about the condensers. I think I'll have it installed in the darkroom I am planning to make for the Photo-Group we have here in my area. It's too big for mine and I don't use 5x7 cameras. It's a great machine, I used one a lot while I was a student and I am sure that you'll enjoy working with it. You have to take care to align it correctly (it's not that simple) before starting to work with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 138 is perfect for 6x17 cm negs.
    And for the lighthead, I have also the coldlight system, but I recently saw an other used one in Brussels for about 200 Euro, ballast (the thing you need for the high voltage neontube) and transformer included, in working order.
    If you want a colourlight head, look for the LAVACO with the AGFA filtersystem mounted on it, no special powerset needed and the bulbs can still be found. But you will need the consdesers.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Free is certainly a good price per kg on these babies!

I picked it up today. It included lots of stuff like timer with foot switch, negative holders, masks, extra glass, a lot of lens plates including one for a 50 mm lens and three different diffusion boxes. It seems to be in good condition. About calibration: the ammount of levers, wheels and screws on it certainly makes it more possible to do it than with my small enlarger. But I suppose it will take some time to figure it all out and get it aligned.

I also bought two Componon-lenses for it: 150+240 mm for about $100. They were a bit dusty but I suppose they should be good to start with anyway.

I am curious about one thing about the enlarger. It seems like there could be some sort of signal cabel from the timer to the colour head. It is not the normal poser cable from the transformer but another one directly from the timer. What could that be for?

/matti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin