Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,102   Online: 990

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Beseler Dichro 45S

Recently my variable contrast head failed. The manufacturer no longer makes or supports this unit, so I am looking for an alternative. Since my enlarger chassis is a Beseler 45 MX II, I am inclined to go with the Beseler Dichro 45S color head and use it to expose variable contrast paper.

My two major concerns with this light are: (1) whether it produces even light from edge to edge over the 4x5 image area, and (2) whether the light is bright enough for reasonable printing exposure times.

Before making a purchase, I would appreciate hearing from current users with either assurances that it is good in the above areas, or alarms that I should avoid this light source.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

--Sam Stauffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Sam,

How much are expecting to pay for the head and where do intend to purchase it?

Curt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I assume from your question that you have one to sell. My answer to your question is "I'll see..."

I have been a fine art photographer for over thirty years and I hope to continue for another thirty or so. I am only interested in traditional darkroom work and am willing to buy equipment that I need and pay what I have to to get it.

Right now I am trying to determine if the Beseler Dichro 45S will meet my needs. If so, I'll buy it somewhere. If not, I will move on to some other alternative.

--Sam Stauffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sam, mine 'failed' and it turned out that all I had to do was remove the computer cards and clean the connections. The front LED display came right up and everything was fine.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE:
    The Beseler Dichro 45S has no front LED displays - just some knobs and analog dials. I am confused about what you are describing.

--Sam Stauffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sam, my Dichro 45S has C/M/Y LED displays on the left and 3 knobs to adjust the color. Inside is a maze of wiring and the removable light chamber for each size from 35mm to 4x5. There are computer cards on the left that can be removed just as in a computer and the light is on the right.

I have 2 of these beasts that are identical.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sam, I don't sell equipment, there are several heads for the Beseler 45 enlargers. Sometimes the circuit boards can be pulled and cleaned and most times they are just shot. You can buy any one of the shot heads on eBay or buy a new head from, say, B&H. They are very reasonable. Not in cost but in use.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron, must be a couple variations on the 45S. Mine has the three knobs with analog dials just above each knob.

Has 45S on the front panel.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike. You are right. Mine says "Computerized Color Head" and "Microprocessor Controlled" on the next line.

Sorry Sam.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE:

I just looked again at the picture of the current Dichro 45S on the Beseler Photo site. The picture shows knobs for C-M-Y on the right side with little analog dials above the knobs and a switch on the left with an orange light above it. Maybe this latest model is different from yours.

Since you have two of them, I assume you must like them. Is the light output even across the picture area? Is the light output strong enough for a reasonable printing time? These are my two concerns.

--Sam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin